Chapter Six: Outside The Gates

Skull was awoken by the screeching of an Argentavis as it flew over the tower he was sleeping in. Shafts of sunlight blinded him as it shone through the open windows.

He gave out a long stretch, and slowly stood up, stumbling a little as he proceeded to open the door. Glancing to the left, an abundance of Raptors were being saddled up, preparing for a scouting mission.

Skull realised that his odour was absolutely unpardonable. But where were the showers? He had almost no idea where all the essential things were. If people were more helpful here, it would be much easier.

He slowly climbed down the ladders, remembering what happened to him the other night. He spotted the same man that was standing next to the couple of Gigantopithecus the night before. He decided to wander over to him to see if he knew.

"Hey, erm, do you know where the showers are? Where I could clean up?"

"You're the new one aren't you?" The man said in a deep gravelly voice that was muffled under his long goatee that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time.

"Yeah, I got here two days ago." Skull replied, feeling a bit creeped out by the two towering apes staring at him, it seemed like they had never blinked after they started looking at him.

"The showers are down there and to the left behind that shrubbery, you'll find it." The man said, he abruptly left him in a rude manner with his large companions.

Skull then walked down to where the man gave him directions to. Behind the shrubbery he mentioned, was what seemed like a bathing area and a shower section all enclosed under a thatch roof.

It wasn't the most private thing in the world, but Skull was begging to get this horrific stench off of him.

***

Skull exited the bathing area and began to wander around hopelessly. He spotted the leader of the tribe, Hulfaesek standing at the top of the hill. He signalled for him to come over to him.

"I have somewhere you can stay if you like?" He said.

"That would be great!" Skull exclaimed, "Where is it?"

"In the barracks." Hulfaesek said with a blank expression in his face. He then exploded with laughter, it slowly faded as he realised Skull didn't find it very humorous. "No I'm joking, the barracks are full as it is, but there's a small hut bellow is you can stay in."

"Could I just say thank you, for rescuing me. And all the stuff you've done for me so far." Skull thanked him.

"Oh you're lucky we found you, you're glad you weren't found by cannibals, or you'd be dead as soon as they found you." The elderly man said with a long sigh at the end.

"What could I do for the day, I'm quite good at exploring things." Skull instantly knew that that was not true as he had almost killed himself in the past by wandering into dangerous predators or places.

"Well, we are going on a scouting mission later, but I don't think you'll be up to it." Hulfaesek said quite harshly.

"Come on! At least give me a chance to show you what I can do!" Skull begged, he didn't really care about the mission, he wanted to see what was out there and all the secrets he hadn't noticed before. He heard not many people get to explore beyond those gates. But he wanted to so badly.

"I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait. We just don't know what you're capable of yet."

Skull went off in a strop almost. Hulfaesek shook his head at him. Why did he want to go out there so badly? It was a lot safer in here than it would ever be out there.