Chapter Five: The Red Sabres

Skull slowly awoke from what seemed like an infinite slumber. He stretched out his bruised and bashed limbs, feeling a pain when he moved them just for a moment. He noticed a bandage that was wrapped around his whole torso, and on the left side a large patch of dried blood.

All he could feel was pain, an everlasting pain in his whole body. He attempted to turn to one side, but even that was beginning to prove to him a difficult challenge in his state of health.

An excruciatingly loud screech came from the floor above him, it was quickly followed by a tremendous shake and the sound of talons scraping. It was then followed by a smaller thud then footsteps walking over to a set of ladders.

Skull stared out of the large open gap in the wall, transfixed on what lay out there. People. People everywhere, large towers with walkways connecting them and a large courtyard with dozens of creatures in it. Creature he never thought would ever exist.

There were the usual herbivores that he seen almost everyday, and Dilophosaurs, he noticed an assemblage of Dodo coops with almost what seemed like hundreds of small feathery chickens gathering around for a feed.

But some of these creatures were just flabbergasting. A towering Therizinosaurus, it looked like a herbivorous Tyrannosaur, but with feathers and vast long claws that looked like they could penetrate almost any living matter.

But as he was scanning the courtyard to spot any other dazzling creatures, he noticed something. A large group of people repairing a large crater in the wall. It was probably just the storm that did it, but it looked like something had ran through it. He began to see more people repairing destroyed parts.

Another crater in the other side of the wall, and a collapsed tower. He also noticed that the craters had huge scratch marks on them.

What could have done this? No Tyrannosaur would have the strength to destroy a wall of that scale. Was it a larger predator? Or something else? Skull's list of questions had only expanded yet again. There were so many mysteries on this island that would surely be answered, at least that's what he hoped would happen.

A group of large sauropods including Brontosaurus and Diplodocus were feasting from a towering tree that stood on the other side of he wall. They were enclosed in what seemed like a gigantic pen with smaller creatures running between them.

One of the Brontosaurs had a small fort built on its saddle, it rocked around softly as the dinosaur moved its bulky neck. In the Centre of the courtyard was a large bonfire that was filled with ash and burnt branches with glowing embers still rising from it.

It was a functioning settlement. And Skull had thought that he was the only person on the entire island, but this had completely changed that.

Suddenly he heard muffled chatting emerge from outside the room. He then heard the door open and a group of five people entered.

He sat up on the bed, and stared intently at the other people.

Two women, and three men stared back at him, they looked like they were looking right through him almost.

"So, who are you?" Questioned the older one with dark skin and ruffled grey long hair that was wrapped up with a piece of fibre.

Skull didn't know how to answer. He had so much questions that he couldn't even answer.

"Sorry, I'll make it clearer. Who. Are. You?" He asked again.

"S-Skull, Skull." He answered, stuttering.

"My name's Hulfaesek, this is Treay," He pointed at the female to the left with short ginger hair, "This is Khemma," He pointed to the other female who had long black hair with a huge scar on the side of her face, "And this is Ghalgrid and Dommeis." The two other men almost looked identical to each other, with short dirty blonde hair and pale skin.