7 - AN OLD FRIEND

Start from the beginning

"Let's try to get some sleep, alright? Just wake me up if the Warg comes back."

She pulled the cover over them once Fenrir settled on the bed next to her. Soon enough, the little boy's breathing steadied as he curled up against her, but it took Angrboda much longer to fall back to sleep.

New Avengers Facility, Upstate New York, Present Day

For a long time, being nervous was not part of Angie's range of emotions. She had toughened herself in such a way that nothing scared her anymore, nothing made her anxious or worried or concerned. In fact, after losing Fenrir, it didn't feel like she had much left to be concerned about.

But in retrospect, those years after Fenrir's disappearance — or death, she couldn't tell anymore — hadn't been a complete waste. Building an emotional forteresse served her well; it was how she earned her reputation as the Harpy after all.

But that was a lifetime ago; long before she became an Avenger and long before she met Tony. It was all before she found a new purpose with the people of Earth. They uncovered a side of herself she had buried deep the day she watched Fenrir fall off the Bifrost...

And that explained why she was currently standing outside the new Avengers Facility, scared shitless.

Angie was stalling and she was painfully aware of it. Instead of walking straight to the security gates, she took the time to inspect every square meter of the Facility — from the massive buildings with their big glass walls, to the neatly trimmed garden and the various flying vehicles laid out nicely outside.

This facility had Stark Industries written all over it.

She finally made it to the gates where an army of security guards stood every few meters. So far, she was doing a remarkable job at ignoring the nerves that screamed to turn on her heels and leave the premise as fast as possible. She knew it was ridiculous to be so nervous. Of all the dodgy situations she'd gotten herself into before, this one didn't even qualify. Somehow though, confronting Tony after four years of absence felt a lot more twisted.

"Identification?" one of the guards threw in her direction.

Angie pulled out the fake ID that Fury had given her earlier. There was a picture of her under a fake name and a fake position with the CIA. Fury had assured it would grant her access to the Avengers Headquarters.

Apparently, even as a semi-dismantled organisation, S.H.I.E.L.D was still full of resources.

"Angela Dean?" the security guard read out the made up name on her ID before stepping aside "Right this way ma'am."

She walked in, relieved that he hadn't started asking questions. She would've had no idea how to lie through that one. Thankfully though, it didn't look like it was going to be necessary since she got cleared at every security check after that.

Soon enough, Angie found herself right outside the residential area of the facility. Even as a supposed Government employee, she didn't have access to that building as it was meant exclusively for the Avengers.

She quickly swallowed the lump in her throat, taking notice of the many surveillance cameras, filming at every angle imaginable. Without losing any more time, she pressed on the interphone button next to the glass doors.

"Place your identification in front of the screen on your right, please," a voice came out of the interphone, punctuated by a few crackles.

She did as she was told and noticed a small flash coming out of said screen. Clearly the image would be sent to their surveillance central. This amount of scrutiny was seriously over the top.