"I -- but -- but... wait!" Professor Trelawney's voice shook with anger. "I... I think I do see something... something that concerns you... Why, I sense something... something dark... some grave peril..."

Umbridge didn't seem impressed, her infuriating smile still plastered across her toad-face.

"I am afraid... I am afraid that you are in grave danger!"

"Right. Well, if that's really the best you can do..." Umbridge murmured, scribbling down on her clipboard and disappearing down the trapdoor.

-=+=-

"Wands away," Umbridge ordered as they took their seats. "As we finished chapter one last lesson, I would like you all to turn to page nineteen today and commence chapter two, 'Common Defensive Theories and Their Derivation.' There will be no need to talk."

Hermione's hand went up in the air as soon as everyone started to read their books. Umbridge got up, her smile twisted a bit unnaturally, and she leaned down so she was face-to-face with the brunette.

"What is it this time, Miss Granger?"

"I've already read chapter two," Hermione replied promptly.

"Well then, proceed to chapter three."

"I've read that too. I've read the whole book," Hermione explained, lifting her chin a bit.

Umbridge blinked, "Well, then, you should be able to tell me what Slinkhard says about counterjinxes in chapter fifteen."

"He says that counterjinxes are improperly named. He says 'counterjinx' is just a name people give their jinxes when they want to make them sound more acceptable," Hermione countered. "But I disagree."

Umbridge's eyebrows rose and her gaze hardened and cooled, "You disagree?"

"Yes, I do. Mr. Slinkhard doesn't like jinxes, does he? But I think they can be very useful when they're used defensively," Hermione replied calmly.

"Oh, you do, do you?" Umbridge straightened up, her eyes flashing. "Well, I'm afraid it is Mr. Slinkhard's opinion, and not yours, that matters within this classroom, Miss Granger."

Hermione looked faintly insulted, "But -- "

"That is enough," Umbridge cut her off rather rudely, walking back to the front of the class. "Miss Granger, I am going to take five points from Gryffindor House."

"What for?" Harry exclaimed angrily.

"Don't you get involved!" Hermione hissed.

"For disrupting my class with pointless interruptions," Umbridge replied coldly. "I am here to teach you using a Ministry-approved method that does not include inviting students to give their opinions on matters about which they understand very little. Your previous teachers in this subject may have allowed you more license, but as none of them -- with the possible exception of Professor Quirrell, who did at least appear to have restricted himself to age-appropriate subjects -- would have passed a Ministry inspection -- "

"Yeah, Quirrell was a great teacher," Harry scoffed, "there was just that minor drawback of him having Lord Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head."

The class went dead quiet.

"I think another week's detention would do you some good, Mr. Potter," Umbridge smiled sweetly. "You may join Miss River this evening."

Amisty jaw ticked, and she could very clearly hear Harry's teeth grinding next to him.

-=+=-

Harry and Amisty weren't exactly with each other during their detention. In fact, Amisty was quite jealous of him considering he got to be in a different room from the toad. She was about halfway down the parchment, biting her lip to keep silent, when papers rustled from behind Umbridge's desk. Her eyes flicked toward the pink monstrosity called a cardigan, internally hoping she would be permitted to leave early.