Black and Grey: Love, Trust, and Resentment

Introduction: May 29th 2034

Imani's Loft in NY 8:30AM

"Honey, are you sure you want to leave today? Why don't you come to Paris with me?" Imani asked as she watched her daughter pack her belongings. Tam had stayed with her mom because she was convenient for her. She knew that her mom had pretty tight security around her and she needed some time to think about her next move. She'd spoken to her father and promised him that she would be back sometime in June but yesterday her mother announced her plans to travel and Tam didn't want to leave the country.

"I'm sorry mom. Dad is holding a job for me and it would be in bad taste for me to postpone taking it just because I'm his daughter and I can. Besides, I kinda miss Seattle." Tam thought about all the things she'd loved about Seattle, most of those things made her sad now. Her apartment that she had loved had now been put up for rent and she'd be staying with her father. Her car had been sold because her father said there were too many miles on it and he'd buy her another one. The major thing ... the person that she missed, the name that she could barely bring herself to say without crying was there. Yet and still she was ready to go back.

"My little girl always trying to do the right thing," Imani smiled and ran her fingers through her daughter's straight hair. Tam decided that she wanted to keep her hair straight she felt like keeping that way made her blend in more and that's exactly what she wanted right now. She wanted to disappear and be a fly on the wall.

"I try," Tam mumbled as she zipped up her bag. "Shouldn't you be packing?" Tam asked her mom who had now taken a seat on her bed and was filtering through her text messages.

"Oh Patrice, is doing that. There's something else I wanted to talk to you about before you leave and I'm afraid you're not going to like it." Tam sat down. It was rare that her mom would get serious on her and she had been respectful enough not bring up what happened but for some reason she felt that tide was about to turn. "Today is Theodore's birthday I think you should contact him, something as simple as a happy birthday would probably make his day." Tamera shot daggers at her mother, she wasn't stupid of course she knew it was Teddy's birthday and it had been killing her to ignore it all day. In hindsight maybe that's why her mother brought it up because she could see how miserable her Tam was.

"Maybe I'll text him or something," Tam grouched. "Is that all?"

"Yeah ..." Her mom went to leave the room and something stopped her. "I think you should work to change Ana's mind. You should confront her and not run from it or you will lose Ted forever and I know you don't want that Tamera, but that's all I'm going to say on the matter. I'm going to be at working before my trip so I won't be here when you leave. Safe travels baby." Imani approached her daughter and wrapped her in a big hug.

"You too mom and thanks for being so cool about everything." Imani gave her daughter a small smile and left her to finish packing. Tam worked diligently to get all her packing done and was done a good thirty minutes before her car was due to arrive. She looked at her phone that was lying on her bed taunting her. She picked it up and stared at Ted's number. She fidgeting and felt her palms start to sweat. "This stupid I'm just going to do it ... I've done it a million times before," she mumbled as she pressed the little green button that looked like a message bubble. She also reminded herself that it was really early in Seattle and that Ted may not even answer.

Tam: Happy BDay Teddy! Have Fun today.

"See easy," she said trying to sound confident. She got up to grab her bags and take them downstairs when she heard her phone start to buzz. He was calling her and she cringed inside. She couldn't answer it. She wasn't ready for that yet. "Sorry Teddy," she said with despair in her voice, she felt guilty now and wished she hadn't even reached out. She took her bags downstairs and then looked at her phone she'd received a text and was thankful it wasn't a voicemail.

Ted: Thank u. I hope u r well.

Tam thought before she answered. She wasn't in the habit of lying to Teddy so she couldn't in good conscious tell him that she was well. She felt empty without him and she had to go back on medication so that she could continue function normally. She tried to keep solace in the fact that she had done what was best for Teddy. She didn't want to be the cause of a rift between him and his mother.

Tam: How r u?

Ted: I've been better

Tam: Well cheer up cuz this is ur special day

Ted: I'll try

Tam heard the door buzz she knew her ride was there. It was time to go home she put her phone on airplane mode and headed for the door. In a matter of hours she'd be on her dad's doorstep. She'd be home.