Chapter 52: Metamorphosis

CLATTONIA

"I need gauze, water, antiseptic, and bandages, now," Juniper states as Katsuro and I hover over Jace, who is lying on the bed that we placed him on.

Katsuro hurries to grab the materials that she requested while I stand there, monitoring Jace and occasionally glancing at the heart monitor and his IV.

"Come on, Jace," I whisper as my eyes frantically flicker over his body as he lies there seemingly lifeless.

"We've been working on him for the past half hour," Katsuro frowns slightly, "are you sure that he's going to be okay? He doesn't seem to be getting any better..."

"Patience, Katsuro," Juniper sends him a strained smile, "healing takes time, no matter what kind of healing it is."

"Do you know what's going on with him, Juniper?" I ask, my eyes flickering up to her as she races over.

"According to my monitor," Juniper says as she glances over at it, her eyes widening slightly, "Jace is awakening his Shift..."

"What?" my eyes widen in surprise and I look over at the heart monitor where his pulse continues beeping along, along with his other vitals, and much to my surprise I find that the area that identifies one as either human or Supernatural is shifting, "how is that possible?"

"I'm not sure..." Juniper trails off as Katsuro hands her the materials that she requested.

I gasp in surprise as Jace's brown hair slowly shifts to pitch black and he seems slightly paler than normal, making me frown.

Juniper's eyes flicker over to the monitor as she bandages his arm, his shirt and jacket having been previously removed, and Katsuro finishes up wiping the rest of the blood off of his face with water and a cloth.

"Oh, Jace..." I sigh as I stoke his forehead, ruffling his hair slightly, "please be okay..."

"Look!" Katsuro points out as he watches the monitor, "it's reading his Shift."

"Shi Kensatsu..." I breathe out as I read the name of his Shift aloud, realization hitting me, "Death's Prosecution."

"What would you say," Jace swallowed, uncertainly meeting my eyes, "if I said I saw him whenever I was mailing your letter to Asylum?"

"Holy shit..." Katsuro breathes out and his eyes widen, "that means he's..."

"Death. Jace Athens can't die, because he is death..." Juniper finishes, "well, a messenger of death. That allows him to choose who lives, who dies, see who is about to die, and so much more..."

"He actually saw him," I gape, "Jace actually saw Kaden."

"What?" Juniper's eyes flicker to mine as she raises her eyebrows and Katsuro appears equally as surprised, "what are you talking about?"

"Jace told me the other day that he thought he saw Kaden. He said that after I showed him Kaden's picture. Apparently, he saw him whenever he was outside Rai's apartment," I say.

"That would make sense," Juniper says as she looks back at Jace as she holds the bottle of antiseptic in her hand, "given what his Shift is."

"Does that mean Jace's father is Supernatural?" Katsuro raises his eyebrows.

"No," Juniper shakes her head, "I don't think so."

"Are you trying to say that his mother was Supernatural?" I ask.

"I would believe so," Juniper nods, "that seems more likely, unless his father isn't aware that he's supernatural and may actually be."

"Wait," I pause as Juniper and Katsuro finish up helping Jace, "Aether's father ordered for the execution of Jace's mother. Do you think..."