CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

I rushed through the exit and kept walking fast incase any one recognised me because we had come to the restaurant in style. I almost broke into a sprint the moment I was a small distance from the entrance but the way I was dressed formally could look really suspicious.  I took a deep breath and kept moving steadly as fast as I could manage without looking ridiculous. My luck was in because at the moment, a taxi happened to be coming my way I think from dropping some one at the restaurant.  I hailed it and felt a sense of safety to be inside.
           It took a good thirty minutes to get to the train station. Yes. I counted because it's all I could do to stop myself from thinking about my life. I didn't want to pity myself because that's a high road to go. I imagined how my dad might feel. I started a short prayer but couldn't get myself to finish it because I felt like praying was like making myself more vulnerable in front of God and yet he knew what was happening.  How come he wasn't doing anything yet?
            I waited for another twenty minutes for the train to leave the station. I leaned my head against the window and looked through at the glimmering lights as the train left the station. I suddenly felt so cold and realised I had no jacket. Maybe Thomas could have given me his jacket on the way back home. Did I do bad to leave them like that? I well knew there's no way I'd tell Thomas all my story without him jumping to conclusions like I'd been promised money and sent to him or him feeling pity for me because honestly, I didn't belong to his world even though I fit in perfectly. We already had trust issues as it was.
             I wasn't aware that I was crying until I saw a male hairy hand offering tissue. I followed the length of the arm and only ended up looking at a familiar face.  Where did I see him? I took the tissue and mumbled a thank you. I could feel his eyes on me. It's so funny how I hadn't even noticed I was sitting beside him at first. I wiped my tears and made a mental note not to cry publically. I looked at him again. He couldn't be from my hometown.  I could have easily recognized him. I kept stealing glances at him. Well until I figured his face out. He had been seated at the same table with Paul. He had been the quiet one. Never said a word. Well only after I had started eavesdropping.
             I chose to ignore him and look through the window rather than wonder what he was doing here and how come he was on the same train as fast. I had had enough of involving in people's business and it hadn't paid off well most of the time. I kept silent even though I could feel his gaze on me. I occasionally checked my watch. Two hours had passed. By now Thomas was aware I wasn't coming back. I wondered what he was thinking.  Four more hours to go. I had nothing to do but watch the small towns we passed by. When I picked my purse back in the restaurant, I had forgotten my phone. I was somehow glad I did because no one would reach me but I was bored and didn't want to over think.
             An old lady came pushing a trolley with coffee and biscuits.  I called out to her. I fumbled in my purse for change to pay and when I looked up, this guy was holding two coffees and biscuits and the woman had gone past already.  I thought to myself, well I should acknowledge you that I want that coffee but am I always this slow?  I forced a smile on my face as I held out my hand. "You don't have to smile." He said softly. "what if I want to drink it all?" He raised an eye. My smile fell and I felt embarrassed.  I mean he might have bought it for himself and I had expected a gentleman from how he'd given me tissue.
         I think he saw my hand fall back and changed his mind. "But we could trade."
The old woman passed by pushing an empty trolley. I looked back at him still carrying the two cups and biscuits on his lap. I made a move to touch my purse but he shook his head in negative. "Your name. I want to know your name." He said.
"Patricia. Patricia Grace." I replied.
And he handed the coffee to me. With some biscuits of course.
           The hours dragged on. I dosed off a few times waking up scared I'd passed my station. But I hadn't.  The guy, "Nick" saw this and asked where I was going. After telling him, he nodded and said that's where he was also going so I should rest and he'd gladly wake me up. I had never been more releaved by a tap on the shoulder than Nick's telling me we had reached.