I Only Wanna Talk to You (Bucky/Reader)

"I'm changing my wager," Tony says, watching Bucky slide over closer to you on the couch. You were showing him the joys of Netflix. Tony turns to Natasha, "I'm betting this week."

Natasha nods in agreement, "I'd say within the next 3 days." She rolls her eyes as he pulls the yawning and stretching move, his real arm now stretching across your shoulders.

The Avengers had a wager going within 3 days of Bucky joining the Avengers at the compound. Steve had been living with him at his apartment in D.C. before they moved here, finally deciding that he needed to interact more with other people, as well as the world he lived in. When he arrived, you had been the one to greet him. Within a day, he was obviously smitten, as were you, yet both of you were oblivious to it. The Avengers, on the other hand, noticed immediately. It had been three months and nobody had made a move, but it was going to happen eventually, it had too.

It had surprised everyone when the two of you began to gravitate towards each other. Bucky was still recovering from his decades as the Winter Soldier while you took ages to open up to someone. It took the Avengers three months to learn that your family had died when you were younger and four months after that to learn that it had been your doing. You were throwing a tantrum and as a three-year-old who could control time but did not know it yet, it hadn't ended well.

Clint walks past the spy and the billionaire, "I'm changing my bet to today. He's been nervous about something all day. I think he made up his mind." He nods towards the man's metal arm, which was drumming silently on the couch cushion, "He never fidgets, but it's all he's been doing."

Natasha curses in Russian, "How did I not notice that?" She glares at her partner but all she gets is a smile.

Bucky leans in close to your ear, whispering something. You laugh, agreeing with whatever he said. You lean your head over, letting it rest on his shoulder. He tenses for a second before letting out a pleased hum.

Bruce comes from the kitchen, carrying two cups of coffee, handing one to Tony, "Anything yet?" All three shake their heads, "If they don't ask each other soon, I'm going to have to do it for them."

"Amen to that," Tony mumbles into his cup, downing half of his black coffee in one go.

The show ends a few minutes later. You reach for the remote, turning off the TV, "I'm getting some coffee, want some?" You stand, waiting for Bucky's reply.

He stands up as well, "I'll come help you." You both walk towards the kitchen and past the other Avengers, chatting about whatever show the two of you had just watched. You both turn the corner disappearing from view.

A few minutes later, Steve and Thor walk up the stairs, they had obviously just been working out at the gym. They walk towards the kitchen, not acknowledging the Avengers as they were deep in conversation A minute later, they come back to the common room, both of them carrying a look of surprise on their face. The two men walk over to where the others were sitting.

Natasha looks up from her phone, watching them before speaking, "Something you'd like to share with the class, boys?"

"(Y/N) and James are currently in the throes of passion in the kitchen," Thor explains, grinning like an idiot.

Steve cringes at his wording before correcting him, "They're making-out, is what he means to say. So, everyone, pay up." Wallets appear out of nowhere, money is traded between the group of superheroes. Steve had gained the most while Sam, who would have to pay up when he came back from visiting his parents, had gained the least, his reasoning being that Bucky would never get the courage.

Bucky and you walk back into the common room, hand in hand, "Hey guys, guess what?" You're practically glowing with happiness, but then your eyes land on the piles of money on the table before looking at Thor and Steve, who hadn't been there before. You put two-and-two together and a scowl forms on your face, "You bet on us?!?"

"No, it was just a little friendly competition," Tony speaks up. He opens his mouth, ready to continue but Natasha sends him a look that shuts him down.

"What he means to say, is that you two have been dancing around each other since the day you met and before all of us went crazy watching you, I came up with the idea of betting on how long it took," Natasha explains coolly, knowing that you would be less likely to throw a fit if she explained.

You take in her explanation before nodding slowly, "I was that obvious?" You whisper slowly, slightly mortified.

Clint nods, "Everyone knew but the two of you. I was about ready to snap." Hums of agreement echo across the table, "But you lovebirds figured it out on your own."

Bucky smiles down at you, feeling that happiest he had in a long time, "I think we have some things to discuss, yeah?" You nod, "Wanna walk around the grounds and talk?"

You grinned up at the veteran, "Sounds fantastic." You nod at the other Avengers before the two of you walk towards the staircase, hand-in-hand.

As soon as the two of you disappear from view, Tony speaks again, "I have an idea for a new wager; how long it will take us to get sick and tired of them."

Various voices ring out, some stating that they should leave Bucky and you alone, others giving measurements of time, ranging from 6 months to 2 weeks.

Finally, Thor calls out, his booming voice quieting everyone else, "Let them have some time before we start another wager and I have a much better wager, how long it will take them to fu—"

"And I'm going to stop you right there," Natasha stands, walking away from the table, "Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to go by myself something with my winnings."

As she walks down the stairs, towards the living quarters, she sees you and Bucky lying next to each other in the middle of the green space, talking happily. She was glad the two of you had finally come to your senses. You were both going to be so much happier now that you found each other

Because of you, I can feel myself slowly but surely becoming the me have always dreamed of being.

-Tyler Knott Gregson-