Chapter 34: An Unlikely Bond

Start from the beginning

Kalan looked it over, admiring the craftsmanship. "You elves still manage to impress me from time to time! Thank ya kindly lad, I shan't forget it!"

As he wandered away he strummed the lute thoughtfully. Maybe elves weren't so bad after all.

===========================

Rukil awoke slowly, his head throbbing with pain. His nostrils were greeted by the scent of lavender, which he assumed was to cover up some other, less pleasant odor. With a groan, he carefully sat up, observing that his entire torso was covered in bandages.

He couldn't quite remember what had taken place, but he knew there had been a battle. And, if the strange dwarven banners hung on the carven stone walls of the room were an indicator, he was far from home.

To his surprise, a slight of build red-haired woman entered, carrying a tray with water and food on it. She smiled when she saw that he was awake, the relief clear in her expression.

"You've been asleep for quite some time," She said, setting the tray down beside him. "We almost thought you would never wake."

"Well, they can't take me down that easily," He replied, attempting to hide his confusion. "Though I can't quite recall who they were."

"You don't remember?" The woman replied, her eyebrows furrowing. "Word is, you fought one of those Ringwraiths. They say it was seen fleeing the area where you were found."

"I remember a shadow... Nothing more," he replied, shrugging apologetically. "I don't believe I've introduced myself. I am Rukil, by the way."

The woman smiled. "An introduction was not needed. Tales of your adventures and bravery have been spreading like wildfire among Dalefolk and dwarves alike. I'm Astrid."

"It is a pleasure meeting you, Astrid," Rukil replied with a bow of his head. "The kindness and hospitality of your people will not be forgotten."

Astrid's cheeks reddened slightly at the praise. "Nor will the heroism of yours be forgotten by my people. Were it not for you, the mountain would have surely fallen."

"My people have been preparing for this war for a long time," Rukil replied graciously. "Yours were not so fortunate. It was a storm that seemingly came without warning to you all."

Astrid nodded. "Aye, it was. We lost many good people... including our king."

"I am sorry to hear that," Rukil said, genuine sorrow in his voice. "We in Rhun had heard tales of Brand, and respected him greatly. I had looked forward to meeting him after... after all of this." He trailed off sadly.

Astrid looked at him with mournful eyes. "He would've liked that."

After a moment of solemn silence, Astrid rose to leave. "I should tend to the other patients. I'll be back soon though, I hope that we may be able to speak again."

Rukil nodded and smiled. "I hope so too. Farewell for now, Astrid of Dale."

================

As the days went by, the two saw much of each other and a friendship soon blossomed between them. They would talk late into the night, when the rest of the mountain was fast asleep. Astrid told Rukil much of the people of Dale, and in exchange Rukil shared stories and tales of the mysterious East, where the men still rode upon dragons and wyrms and the fields went on and on in endless waves of green.

"You should see it, m'lady," Rukil murmured, an intense gleam in his eye. "The cities there are carved into the very mountains. Not like dwarves cities though. These have balconies on the mountains' edge, overlooking the vast valleys below, and thousands of windows let in the crisp mountain air. To reach the cities, one must travel along the pass of Rana'kar, a perilous road that hugs the side of a massive chasm. Many have plunged into the depths below, never to be seen again. Those that make it arrive in a veritable paradise."

Astrid leaned closer, her voice barely above a whisper but her expression one of awe. "Have you been there?"

Rukil nodded, his expression one of longing. "I have. I and my retinue made the pilgrimage once, in an effort to gain allies in the region. It is an experience I'll never forget." He smiled faintly, giving her a fond look. "Perhaps one day I shall have the honor of showing it to you myself."

"I would love nothing more than that," Astrid replied, returning his smile. "Once the war is over, I would gladly go."

"Then it shall be so," the prince said, taking her fair hand in his own rough one. "You shall see the wonders of the East with me."

Astrid beamed. "I look forward to it."
==========

(PTII)Defenders of Middle Earth: A Middle Earth Story(Book 4)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara