Chapter 7

Jared peeled out of the parking lot outside Ever’s motel room and into the busy highway, ignoring the angry honking of the late afternoon rush of traffic.

“Jared!” Ever yelped, as she was rammed into the passenger seat door when he made a sharp, very illegal, U-turn. “What the heck is wrong with you!?”

He either was too engrossed in his reckless driving to hear, or was simply choosing to ignore her. Ever simmered in irritation.

“Look, I don’t know what your problem is!” She complained, rubbing her sore shoulder. “But, one second, we were on the couch watching Law & Order reruns, and the next, you’re jumping up and running out the door, then driving into traffic like a maniac!”

Jared hit the gas hard and cut several people off, taking a sharp left turn. Ever squeaked as a moving van was forced to slam on breaks so they didn’t run into them. At this point, her life was practically flashing before her eyes.

JARED!” She hollered half-hysterically, half-furiously, whipping a tube of cherry flavored chapstick out of her skirt pocket and flinging it hard at his head.

“Ow!” He yelled, finally turning to look at her. “What the heck, Ever!?”

She rolled her eyes and glared at him. “Funny, I should ask you the same freaking question. Oh wait, I already did!”She took a deep, shaking breath, her fingernails still digging into the seatbelt. “What exactly are we doing, Jared, flying down the highway and breaking every human traffic law in the book, and almost becoming road kill!?”

Jared sucked in a slow breath, looking briefly in the rearview mirror before answering her question. “I don’t know where Mina is.” He told her quietly, solemnly.

Ever’s mouth dropped open. He couldn’t be serious. “What? You barreled into heavy traffic at seventy-five freaking miles an hour, because you don’t know where Mina is? Are you insane!?”

He swallowed, slowing the car’s pace, but only a little. “No, Ever. I can’t find her.”

She blinked. “So? Maybe she left the Grimoire at home like the idiot Gimp she is, and went off somewhere. Why don’t you just call her precious mommy, and ask her?” Ever retorted crossly.

Jared’s jaw tightened and he frowned at her, as he slowed at a red light, which he came very close to running. “The Grimoire is with her, Ever. But I can’t feel where she is. I can’t feel her at all.”

Ever saw the concern and anxiety in his expression and felt her stomach twist in jealousy. Would he be this worried if he couldn’t find her? She wasn’t sure if she wanted to know the answer to that question. “What, does that mean she’s dead or something?” She asked him sharply, wincing at the slightly hopeful tone of her voice.

He didn’t’ seem to notice it, being so deeply lost in his own thoughts. But he did catch the “dead or something” in Ever’s question. “NO!” He replied, a little too harshly. He lowered his gaze a bit regretfully, seeing the hurt in Ever’s eyes. “No.” He repeated, softer this time. “I would know if she was… no longer… alive. And I know she’s got the book, but I can’t pinpoint where she is. It’s like she’s invisible to me. Like she’s hiding herself from me, or… someone else is.” His grip on the steering wheel tightened, “And I need to know who.”

Ever straightened up in her seat. “So, you think she’s in danger?” As usual, she added inwardly, though not voicing it out loud.

Jared swallowed, taking a right turn. “I... I don’t know. But, under no circumstances, should she be shielded from me like this. I’m her protector. And she’s going to get a long talking to if this is some elaborate joke or trick just to test the boundaries of the Grimoire or some nonsense. It better not be.” He looked irritated and worried at the same time. Ever cringed at the stormy look in his eyes. If this was some stupid trick on Mina’s part, she almost felt sorry for the Gimp. Almost. She had personally seen how bad Jared could be when he was angry, and Mina wasn’t going to like it.

But Mina would never take crap from Jared like you do

Ever stiffened angrily at the annoying voice of her inner-thoughts. Shut up, she thought.

You know it’s true…

She gritted her teeth and looked out the window. “Well, where are we going, then?” Ever asked, somewhat disinterestedly.

Jared sighed, “I’m really not sure. I guess I could stop by Nan’s condo and see-“

“She won’t be there.” Ever broke in, glancing at a Baskin-Robbins billboard and thinking how great some ice cream would be right then. “She’s having some big party at her stepdad’s house on Imperial Lake. She invited me, and she invited you too. Not that you were paying any attention to her.” Too busy staring at Mina, Ever thought bitterly.

Jared’s eyes widened. “Well, geez, why didn’t you say something before? That’s where Mina’s gotta be.” He said, abruptly taking yet another sharp, illegal U-turn and driving in the opposite direction. 

Ever’s shoulder rammed into the door again and she scowled. “Glad to be of service.” She muttered, leaning against the window sulkily. Mina, Mina, Mina. It was always about her these days. She crossed her arms and occupied herself with reading billboards, inwardly making fun of the fat men with very obvious toupees featured on them, for the rest of the trip.

 --------------------------

Well, haha, there he is. Jared is finally in the picture, for those of you who have been anticipating his arrival. Sorry for the short-ish update. ;P Writer's block, you see.

xoxo,                                                                                                                                                                               Your Favorite Ninja