Chapter 6

Teague just smiled wider and wrapped his free arm around Mina’s waist. She could tell today was bringing him nothing but enjoyment. Figures.

Nan’s eyes looked prepared to pop straight out of her head. Oh dear. Mina wasn’t sure how easy to convince she would be… or happy, for that matter. If there was one thing Nan Taylor hated, it was discovering she’d been left out of the loop.

Boyfriend, Mina? As in couple?” Nan almost sputtered, looking like it was one the most foreign concepts she’d ever been introduced to.

Hmph. Mina felt a little offended. Was it that unbelievable that she might be in a successful relationship? How pathetic did Nan think she was, anyway? But then… they weren’t actually a couple... and Teague’s name was definitely not Tyler... Yeah, I’m a big, fat liar. Mina conceded inwardly.

But, oh well. Desperate times, you know.

“Yes, Nancy, a couple.” Teague chuckled, popping yet another little corndog into his mouth, “And it’s getting very serious.”

Mina bit her lip and resisted the urge to growl and swat him square between the eyes. Serious!? How serious are we talking about here? And for pete’s sake, her name was Nan! He knew this! Ugh.

The “serious” in Teague’s declaration seemed to bother Brody as well, though she couldn’t see why. He had a girlfriend, and, as far as Mina knew, his feelings for her had been fabricated.

“Oh really?” He snarled at Teague. Snarled! Brody-richer-than-the-Queen-of-England-Carmichael. Well, darn. Somebody took their grumpy pills this morning. Maybe he was just having a bad day. Or Teague’s mere existence was grating on his nerves. Mina certainly felt his pain. 

Nan looked from Brody to Teague to Mina. Her light eyebrows looked like they might touch her scalp in their stunned, upward ascent.

Teague stepped up to the plate, never one to back away from annoying the living crap out of someone. “Yeah. Though, I’m surprised she’s never told you about me. She’s very close with my family. Practically spends all her time with us, you know.”  He gave her another one of his overly amused smirks.

“Yep, I sure do.” Mina added, briefly giving Teague the evilest evil-eye she could manage without letting the others see.  “We’re just… attached... to one another, for better or for worse.”

Teague grinned almost giddily, with his arm snaking her closer against him, “For richer or for poorer, and in sickness and in health.”

Mina raised an eyebrow and leaned on his chest. “Till death do us part.” She finished, purposefully skipping the “to love and to cherish” bit, and giving him a very meaningful look. He only grinned wider with an arrogant wink.

“That’s right, princess. I’m in this for the long haul.” Teague replied, with an extremely ooey gooey, lovey-dovey look on his face. Mina would have whopped him in the head if she wasn’t trying so hard not to laugh. The guy was a born performer- that was for sure.

“And I’m just the luckiest girl alive.” She announced, determined to dish out just as much ‘oo and goo’ as he had.

“Oh, buttercup.” Teague murmured, wrapping her in his arms.

Tiger.” She cooed back, her cheeks reddening. Not because she was overcome with romantic feelings, but because she simply was struggling with holding back her own hysterical laughter. This was completely ridiculous.

You’re so pretty when you blush, angel.” He whispered huskily, his eyes glittering with hidden, intense amusement. Teague dipped her slightly and leaned closer. WHOA, WHOA, WHOA.