Chapter 4

Mina walked through the dim foyer, immediately assaulted by the noisy laughter and hollering of teenagers, the smell of sweat and French onion dip, and a very loud Ke$ha song.

“Last night I had enough of you. I put on the brakes. And I could tell you took it hard. It was all over your face...”

She heard Teague chuckle behind her.

“Grow a Pear? Classy.” He remarked dryly.

Mina snorted and looked over at him as she unzipped her hoodie. “Well, I hope you weren’t expecting Bach. This is a sixteen year old girl’s party, you know.” She slid off the jacket and hung it on the wall hook, then straightened her shirt.

Teague’s eyes raked over her a few times, lingering places he had no business looking at. “No... I was not expecting Johann Sebastian Bach, though I did admire his skill when he was still alive.” He told her simply, glancing over her form a few more times. “Nice outfit, by the way.” He continued with a sick grin.

Mina opened her mouth to retort, but the words died in her throat.  Wait a second-

“TEAGUE!” She shouted. A moment ago, she had been wearing a flaring, sapphire tank top and slim denim capris with a silver, braided belt. Modest, yet cute. This was not her outfit!

He’d somehow swapped her clothes with something else entirely. Her blue shirt had been replaced by a scarlet, beaded halter top that tied around the neck and showcased way too much chest and back for Mina’s liking. Her capris were replaced by high waist, black shorts with a wide, cherry red belt and matching sequined sandals.

“What?” He asked, innocent as a kitten, not very subtly eyeing her legs.

“Change it back! How dare you dress me like some skank!”

He rolled his eyes at her, reaching out and undoing her tight French braid. The action distracted Mina, not expecting the foreign feeling of someone else’s fingers in her hair. It might have been very enjoyable if it hadn’t been done by an evil crackpot. She tried to shake him away, but he ignored her.

“Oh please, Mina, you’re being dramatic. I didn’t dress you like a ‘skank’. Savannah was dressed like a skank. I mean, really. No matter how she bends over, something’s gonna fly out. But I dressed you pretty classily, if I do say so myself. Nothing’s showing.” He reasoned as he raked his hands through her long hair, pulling it loose and letting it fan over her shoulders in springy waves.

Yeah. Only my back and chest and legs!” Mina argued, scowling at him.

Teague shook his head at her like she was a hopeless killjoy. “Yes. Oh my, your body is showing! Call the police.” He replied sarcastically. “You always wear jeans and capris. Some sweat-shorts if you’re feeling adventurous. Really, princess, you need to loosen up. There are girls here wearing bathing suit tops and booty shorts. Compared to them, you’re Mother Teresa. You shouldn’t be embarrassed to let people see you. And it’s a crime to hide those cute little legs of yours.” He said, raising one of his expressive, dark eyebrows in amusement as he finished whatever it was he was doing with her hair.

His words stopped Mina’s angry rant for a moment. No one had ever said something like that to her before. Her mother was very modest, and never showed too much skin herself in their house. Nan had long since given up on trying to ‘doll’ Mina up since she and Brody became a couple. Mina had never really technically had a boyfriend either. The idea of ‘showing skin’ was strange and different. And the idea that Teague thought her legs were cute was even stranger.

“I...” Mina wasn’t even sure what to say. She eventually let out a breath and decided to change the subject, “What are you doing to my hair? If you can magically change my clothes, can’t you do my hair that way too? All this touching is really weird.” She complained halfheartedly.