Chapter 3

Mina shook her head and followed Teague. She wanted to get in there as soon as possible so she could ditch him in the crowd and avoid him until it was time to go. And... those mini-corndogs he mentioned before did sound pretty appetizing. As if to confirm this for her, Mina’s stomach let loose a nearly ferocious growl. Teague’s head whipped around, and he gawked at her amusedly.

“Whoa, sounds like something’s living in your stomach!” He laughed, eying her belly like he was waiting for some primal animal to leap out. Mina scowled unappreciatively at him.

“Ha ha. Very funny. Let’s just get inside so we can feed it then, shall we?” She retorted.

He smirked, but before he could reply, someone else’s voice interrupted his. Someone who Mina recognized at once. Unfortunately.

“Hey, Wilhelmina. Who’s your buddy?”

Mina stiffened and very slowly turned around. Savannah White stood behind them. Her ponytail high, blonde, and bouncy as ever, lips glossed, and skirt adequately short and tight. Her posse of preps stood just a little bit away, forcing friendly smiles onto their heavily made up faces, though it made them look pained. Mina eyed Savannah wearily. Kennedy High’s queen bee always referred to her as “Grimey”, unless she wanted something - like now. Now Savannah used Mina’s much despised full name.  The blonde she-devil looked so innocent and almost... nice, that if Mina didn’t know her true nature, she’d have been easily fooled. Right now, Savannah was eyeing Teague like he was a tasty morsel, and she was a deadly tigress on the hunt. It creeped Mina out.

“Uh, he’s my... uh...” Mina blanked out. What was Teague to her? She couldn’t rightly say he was her family’s mortal enemy whom she had agreed to disagree with for the sake of a car ride. No, that wouldn’t come across well... “He’s my-.” She began again, but was cut off by Teague himself.

“I’m her boyfriend… Tyler.”

The shock on Mina’s face had to match the astonishment on Savannah’s, who looked like she had just been told that she was actually adopted and her parents found her in an alien spacecraft as an infant. While Savannah seemed to be trying to collect herself and formulate and appropriate response, Mina felt like she was going to pass out from either shock or embarrassment. It was hard to tell. And what the heck was the deal with “Tyler”?

“Her boyfriend? Oh, how sweet.” Savannah cooed, looking like she though it was anything but sweet. In fact, Savannah looked downright hostile, “And where did you meet Wilhelmina, Tyler? I’ve never seen you in school before.”

Mina glared at Teague, willing an asteroid to fall from the sky and nail him into the ground. Boyfriend! What was he thinking!? He only gave her a self-satisfied grin and turned towards Savannah again.

“Oh, we met over the summer. I go to the state university.” He replied smoothly, “I moved back here to see some old family. I met my angel through a mutual friend of ours.”

His angel!? Mina gave him a death stare to be quiet. What was he doing! I’m going to kill him!

“Oh, a college guy?” Savannah purred, wrapping a strand of platinum blonde hair around her finger. “I thought you looked a little mature to be with Wilhelmina.” She giggled demurely, as if she was lightly teasing, and not outright insulting “Wilhelmina”.

Mina felt quite offended at her remark, for one. Teague raised an eyebrow at Savannah’s very obvious flirting. He seemed amused. Like a college professor dealing with a student who had a huge crush on him. He was playing a game now, which seemed to be a favorite pastime of his.