Chapter 12

ANNABETH'S POV:

Annabeth sat on the bed in her temporary bedroom engrossed in the book that Maryse had given her on Demonology. Being a child of Athena she was determined to remember each demon, its appearance and the weaknesses it possessed (if it had any). She had to admit that she was shocked by the number of demons that existed in the world, well that existed in other dimensions and came into her world. Despite her knowledge of Greek Mythology and its actual existence in modern day life she was slightly baffled by the fact that there were different dimensions where demons lived. However, in spite of her distaste towards the belief of the existence of other dimensions Annabeth wanted to be prepared for whatever Valentine could throw at her when he and the strange woman attacked.

Between reading the demonology book and learning to fight with the Shadowhunter weapons (which was proving to be surprisingly easy) Annabeth was also puzzling over the mystery that had been presented by the woman in Percy's dream. Annabeth had felt Percy's apprehension at telling her the details of the dream that involved the woman as he probably expected her jealousy to flare. However, despite Percy's unease Annabeth didn't actually feel jealous at all; after having Percy leave Ogygia and Calypso behind to be with her and turning Rachel down as well, Annabeth had come to realise that she and Percy wouldn't be so easily separated.

So here Annabeth sat, with one leg tucked under her and her thumb poised to turn the page to absorb whatever new information could be offered to her within the paragraphs she had yet to read. Percy was out exploring the Institute while she read, she had no doubt that he's probably get lost somewhere amongst the corridors and end up having to phone her on his emergency mobile. Demigods weren't supposed to use use phones because they attracted way too many monsters to be safe but since the Institute didn't let anything unholy onto its grounds they were pretty safe from any attacks whilst within its walls.

She flicked to the next page and let her eyes scan over the new demon that was illustrated on the yellowing paper. This demon was called a 'Behemoth' demon. She quickly read the description that was printed beside the ugly picture of the Behemoth.

'The Behemoth is a formless monstrosity much larger than a human, roughly oblong in shape and has a double row of teeth lining the length of its body. It has a ridged underside like a cockroach's. A Behemoth devours everything in its path, including people. When its serrated jaws clacks together, the Behemoth makes low, insectile chittering sounds.

It is slimy and composed chiefly of a viscous, mucus-like substance. It slithers in a slow, oozing, boneless motion comparable to that of a slug's, but with less coherence of shape. The Behemoth is also capable of quickly dispersing and reforming elsewhere in the vicinity.

Behemoths are hard to kill. Not only does its slime render seraph blades ineffective, but it also makes them capable of healing its wounds and reforming. When it is attacked and seemingly destroyed, the Behemoth goes through convulsive spasms and shudders violently before reforming. This process, however, seeps its energy, so a continuous chain of attacks until it can no longer heal itself is the most effective way of destroying it.'

Well, that sounds like hard work for one demon... Annabeth thought miserably, imagining the ridiculous amount of time it would probably take for them to defeat just one of those particular demons. Annabeth huffed in annoyance at the dicovery of yet another demon that would extend the length of the fight that was yet to come.

Heaving a large sigh Annabeth placed her book carefully on the bedside table and allowed herself to fall back onto the soft, white sheets. For the millionth time since receiving it Annabeth ran through the prophecy that had been given to them by Hermes.