Maddie's birthday

It had been a year and a half and they were all settled in, Maddie's room was painted pink and decorated, pictures were hung it felt like home and what a better way to celebrate it is with Maddie's second birthday, which was in a few weeks time. Joyce had gone back to work a few months ago which didn't leave them both much time to plan Maddie's birthday party so they invited close friends and family and a few of her friends from day care.

The weeks went by fast both Joyce and Monty working and they relied on work colleagues like Lesley, Sam, Kenneth to looked after Maddie whom they were concerned about not that she didn't love their god child or bosses daughter but she needed to spend time with her parents, Maddie's birthday also came round fast and today was the big day.
Monty was missing and not told anyone where he was  and he did not once glanced at his watch and he did not wonder what time he'd be home or if he'd be home in time for Maddie's second birthday.

mean while at the Solana Joyce and Sam were preparing for the birthday party whilst Maddie played with her toys but, still in view of her mother and god parent as they decorated the Hawaiian function at the solana with balloons, nibbles and a banner with "Happy Second Birthday Maddie".

"left side needs to go up a bit"sam said standing back in the room whilst Kenneth balanced on the lader adjusting the banner.

"No that's to much Kenneth, right side needs to go up now" Kenneth sighed " I'd like to see you get up here and bloody well do it " Kenneth snapped he lifted the right hand side "That's it" SAM called out.
" oh thanks christ I was bloody dying up there" Kenneth said as he got off the ladder and walked over to SAM glancing at the banner that was perfectly straight.

"Good work" Sam said giving Kenneth high five.

Joyce took Maddie up stairs and gave her a bath in their old apartment which they kept as Joyce was still the manager of the Solana so, Maddie was clean and ready for her birthday party which was in an hour.

soon enough the party started and friends and family arrived but, still no sign of Monty.

Joyce walked round the Solana looking for Monty  just in case she missed him arrive but, there still was no sign of him and this made Joyce angry but, also worried about her husband . Joyce walked over to Lesley "Where the hell is Monty?He's getting the damn cake" She whispered to his Lesley whilst she glanced at her watch.

"I am sure she's on his way Mrs T , calm down everything is going to plan" Joyce looked over at the party feeling pleased and Lesley was right everything was going to plan and everyone was having a good time.

Joyce looked over at her daughter who was sitting on the floor crossed legged looking up in amazement at the clown they had hired for the party. Joyce couldn't help but smile as she watched her daughter laugh and smile with her friends.

Monty left knowing he was already running behind and headed to the bakery but, today was not Monty's lucky day because as soon as he walked into the bakery there was a large queue. Monty sighed and joined the queue glancing at his watch panicking.

10 minutes later Monty  reached the counter and asked for the cake they had asked the company to make for Maddie's party. Once he got the cake he drove to the Solana finally pulling into the drive way locking the car and rushed into the house.

Monty put the cake down on the side and  looked into the room where the kids were watching the clown make balloon animals. Monty spotted Maddie in the middle, he walked over to  bent down Maddie giving her a  quick kiss "Daddy" the little girl said brightly.

Monty  got up and glanced round at the people that had come he  smiled and thanked a few people before he spotted Joyce glaring at him " oh god" he mumbled and rolled his eyes, grabbed the cake and walked over to the bar in the corner.

"where the hell have you been?" Joyce demanded.

"Joyce keep it down people will hear you" Monty whispered.

"I don't care, I bet you were working again weren't you ? When I specifically gave you the day off" Monty sighed.

"yes, I was. I can't help it We have a business to run and we both knew that when I met you" Monty said opening the cake box and taking the princess cake out placing it on kitchen counter.

"I know we have a business to run or so you keep reminding me but, I thought you wanted to be at home to celebrate Maddie's second birthday as a family but, obviously not" Joyce put the 2 candles on the cake.

"Oh come on Joyce that's not fair" Monty lit the candles on the cake.

soon enough it was time for the cake, Joyce walked into the lounge turning the lights off and making sure the kids were at the table ready. Monty walked in holding the cake with everyone singing happy birthday to Maddie.

Monty placed the cake on the table in front of Maddie "Make a wish sweetie" Monty said to his daughter. Joyce stood on the other side of Maddie. Joyce placed her hand on the back of Maddie's chair  and minutes later Monty placed his hand on the chair so his hand was on top of Joyce's . Monty turned to look where his hand was only to realize it was on top of Joyce's. Monty glanced at his wife who looked at him and Monty took this second to mouth to Joyce "sorry, love you" Joyce smiled "Love you" Joyce mouthed back.

"Play" Maddie asked looking up at her parents who snapped back into reality.

"yes sweetie you can go and play now" Joyce said smiling at her daughter.