Chapter 4

The dimly lit hallways echoed with the sound of heavy footfall as the new initiates were led to the 'rooms' where they would be sleeping from now on.  Eric scoffed and rolled his eyes at the teenagers for what Lillian guessed was at least the hundredth time today.     

"You'll never make it in dauntless walking like that", he pointed out in his usual bored and drawling tone. Lillian rolled her eyes in annoyance and mimicked Eric's scoff, earning a cold glare from the leader as he whipped his head round to look at her.

"Is there a problem initiate?", he asked, cocking his head as he monitored the small girl with the large attitude.

"Nope", she replied, popping the 'p' and smiling sarcastically at the already pissed leader. "Watch your attitude initiate.", he warned before turning around with a huff, motioning for the others to follow. Lillian smirked to herself as she followed the group down the hall. Initiates whispered and turned around to glance at her but Lillian didn't acknowledge them. After a few more minutes of following the huffy and frustrated leader the initiates finally reached a dim, dingy and damp looking cave that was hollowed out of the wall. The initiates regarded the large room with distaste, many of them complaining.

"There is not a chance I'm sleeping in here", a brown haired candor spoke up. "Those beds are disgusting and there's no door on the toilets", she pointed out. Eric opened his mouth, most likely to make a snide remark to the girl but Lillian cut him off by rolling her eyes, strolling across the room and flopping down onto one of the bunks. She wriggled around to find a comfortable position before folding her arms behind her head, crossing her legs and looking up at the crowd of people who were stood staring at her. She shrugged her shoulders lightly.

"I'm not seeing the big issue here", she said honestly. The bed seemed absolutely fine to her. A brow haired eriudite sniggered. "That's because you're abnegation. You probably sleep on the streets with the factionless scum", he said in an amused tone. Lillian sat up, locking her jaw and glaring at him. She clenched and unclenched her fist in an attempt to control her anger and took a deep breath, letting calmness wash over her.

The brown haired candor, Molly, was quick to jump in on the joke. "Yeah you're probably right Peter. I mean, rumour has it that he dad beat the crap out of her so I'm sure he'd have no issue letting her sleep on the streets", she sniggered, elbowing peter in a playful manor as they both burst into fits of giggles. Lillian looked down at her lap as her eyes filled with tears and four, who had been hanging in the corner of the room, hung his head low and left the room. Lillian gulped and blinked back her tears, refusing to let them see her cry. She slowly raised her head and her eyes fell on Eric who was looking at her with a frown, a sad, almost pained expression visible on his face. Lillian looked at him with confusion, and opened her mouth as though she was going to speak, though she wasn't sure what to say, but Eric cut her off.

"Right. Everyone settle in and get changed. Dinner is at 6", he stated before storming out of the room, all traces of emotion wiped from his face.