Chapter Five

(Ravenna)

The Museum was quiet this afternoon. I sat alone in the lobby, fiddling with the hem of my uniform maroon shirt. Frank, the janitor, mopped the already shining marble floor, and Gretchen, the lady at receptions, clacked away at her keyboard. I highly doubted she was doing anything productive.

Black hair fell in front of my eyes as I slipped my phone from my pocket and checked the time. 1:30. Sighing, I brushed the wavy locks away from my hazel eyes and the square glasses that shielded them.  Thirty more minutes until my break time.

I’m a tour guide here, at the Ninjago Museum of Beasts and Wonders. It’s cool, because I’m all about animals, specifically sea creatures and prehistoric entities, which is mainly what the museum holds. I get to tell curious people about what I enjoy, and it pays enough to sustain a shabby apartment and food, surprisingly.

Swoosh

The three remaining people in the lobby, myself included, looked up. I hoped that it was Jack, my co worker, here to relieve me of ultimate boredom. But no, it was instead an old man. His gray hair was streaked with black, and, when they caught the light, I could’ve sworn that his eyes flashed a bright purple. At the sight of him, something in the back of my mind tugged at my conscience, trying to either warn me or give me some kind of sign. He seemed so familiar..

“Ravenna, look how much you’ve grown!” the man exclaimed, coming toward the counter that I sat behind.

Frank stopped mopping and Gretchen stopped typing. They both looked over at me.

“I’m sorry, who are you?” I asked.

“Ravenna! You don’t remember?” the old man inquired. He seemed disappointed.

Remember? My past was a big blur of boarding schools and my mother. No one else. I didn’t have time for this. “Sir, I’m working right now. However, my shift ends in-” I glanced at the clock, “- Twenty five minutes. If you’d like to wait, then talk to me then.”

“Sweetie, I was afraid that you would be like this,” the man chided, “I wish you weren’t so resilient.”

Before I had time to react, a dark fog spread throughout the lobby, and Frank and Gretchen screamed. The whole place was entirely black, and the mist was making me cough. Even though there was nothing to see, I felt my eyes drift close and I slipped into an even deeper blackness just as I felt myself falling, and heard my head smack on the cold, hard marble.

(Cole)

The next morning, we left for the City. The day was bright and sunny, but despite that, the chill of November hung in the air. As we were about to get ready and leave, Sensei Wu stopped us.

“Cole, Kai, Jay, and Zane,” he began. “I think you’ve used your elemental weapons long enough, and it’s time to retire back to the weapons you used during the battle of the Overlord; your elemental blades.”

I had forgotten all about those! We hadn’t been doing too much fighting anyway, but now we were. To be honest, I loved my scythe, but the blades were ten times cooler.

“Do Dawn and I get them too?” Brielle questioned. I was wondering the same thing.

Sensei gave us our blades, and Jay practically shrieked with delight at having them back. “Unfortunately, Brielle, that is a no. The only blades we uncovered in the Temple of Light - a different kind of light from Dawn’s - were those of Earth, Ice, Fire, and Lightning. You will continue using your fan blades, and Dawn will learn to work with daggers,” he explained.

“Sensei, we will not need any weapons today, correct? We are simply getting someone to come be a ninja. Brielle and Dawn were pretty trusting,” Zane said.

Something flashed in Dawn’s eyes. I couldn’t tell what it was- Brielle was better at reading people than I was. I would have to ask her.

“Yes, Zane, but we do not know how Ravenna will act. She is a completely new person. Do you not  remember how Lloyd was when we first met him?” Sensei replied.

Zane looked wistful, as if remembering, and then nodded.

“Any more questions?”

We shook our heads.

“Good. Get your gis on and then head to the city. We have to beat Garmadon.”

(Dawn)

After I put my gi on, I was shocked at how well it fit. I guess that it meant that I really was the Golden Ninja.

I think the girl, Nya,  seemed disappointed that she couldn’t come, but Lloyd was overjoyed. His mother was coming too. I wondered how Lloyd did not know that he had a sister. As we walked out of the school, and crammed into Brielle’s plane (the only vehicle that could be activated since the other ninja had elemental blades), I supposed that it was simply not a question to be asked.

If someone asked about my past, I don’t think I would tell them. Too many things have happened that I would rather not relive.

It took about 30 minutes to reach the city from the small town in which the school resided, and it was just as bustling and crowded as it was when I lived there, so many years ago. However, it was packed with the new borgs and the industry that created them. The town I lived in now, Seaville, was a bit slow and didn’t have anything like the androids that littered the urban area.

Brielle landed in a parking lot, and we walked to the museum where this Ravenna person worked. A burst of refreshing heat washed over us when we entered the building, freeing our group from the nipping cold outside. In the lobby stood a younger guy with short brown hair who was talking to an old janitor about something, in a solemn but heated discussion. At the front desk sat a middle aged woman whom stared at her computer wistfully, but did nothing else. The place was empty, except for them, and there was no one who could possibly be Ravenna Garmadon.

Misako stepped up to the front desk. “Is someone named Ravenna Garron here?”

At those words, the woman paled. “She was,” she said with a raspy, soft voice. “Just minutes ago she was right over there,” she gestured to an empty desk with a sign that said TOURS on it, “but then a strange man with purple eyes and an evil aura came through, talked to her, and then everything went black. The next moment, she was gone! We’ve been talking about it ever since.”

“Do you know if he said anything about who he was?” Cole asked.

“No, but he knew her name, and asked if he remembered her.”

“That’s all we need,” Misako said.

We left. That was short.

“Now what?” I asked.

“We have to find my dad!” Lloyd exclaimed.

“Yeah, wherever he is, Ravenna is,” Kai agreed.

She had been taken, and Garmadon had probably already won.