Jesus Christ

I puff a breath of air in order to get the stray strands of hair that had escaped from my ponytail out of my face. The heat is unbearable. Wearily, I look up at the clock. 3:30 pm. 30 more minutes till I'm done with my shift. I begin to focus on the several customers lined up.

"Next." I call out. A woman who looked like she was in her mid-fifties steps up.

"Hello, dear. Uh, may I order a sweetened lemonade?"

"Sure, may I have your name?"

"Taryn. Taryn Brooks."

I scribble her name on a cup and ask her to wait for her name to be called. I look up just as a girl in her teenage years, comes up. She's wearing a low cut tank top with the shortest shorts I had ever seen.

"What can I get for you today?" I ask.

"Um, let's see." she stands, staring at the menu, taking her sweet time. I look past her at the growing line. Unbelievable. Finally, she speaks.

"I want a venti Double Chocolatey Chip Frappuccino with whipped cream. Name's Sophie Mitchell. Make it quick." she demands. I begin to open my mouth to give her a snobby remark back, but my coworker nudges me gently, reminding me to keep myself calm. I give her a strained smile and begin writing her name on the cup. All of a sudden, I hear a giggle. I look up to see the girl, Sophie, flirting with a noticeably attractive man who obviously isn't interested in her. Rolling my eyes, I get back to work.

Soon enough, it's 3:55 pm, and I'm ready to go home. I am about to leave when I hear someone come up to the register. Groaning internally, I turn around to face the man that snobby girl was talking to.

He has big brown eyes that have the effect of melting whomever they land upon. His hair is a rich dark brown and curls up softly, and when he turns to the side, you can see his super, super sharp jawline.

"Hi, what can I get for you today?" I ask in a monotonous voice, the one I use with all customers.

His eyes roam around on my body till finally flicking up to my eyes. Was he actually checking me out?

What does he think I am?? An object?

I clear my throat in irritation and in response, he slowly smiles.

Creep.

"Well, let's see. Can I have you?" he asks coyly.

Ugh.