Bringing Back Hallie: Chapter Twelve

A/N--My apologies for taking so long with this chapter!! I was on vacation all last week and then the day after we got back I got out my wisom teeth out and I've been on pain pills ever since.  So yeah! I wrote this chapter in literally one sitting, and it took about two hours, so if it's utter crap I'm very sorry.  I somewhat like this chapter even though it's sorta depressing, so I hope you do too! Vote/comment please! :)

"I want three dogs when I get older, and I know that sounds ridiculously insane and like some form of the old cat lady who can't get laid, but I've always wanted three dogs," I explain to Ethan later on that night, after the movie's ended and the rest of the household's retreated to their own rooms and their own beds.  

The movie was slightly awkward, of course, with Darla giving us knowing side glances throughout the entire thing, making it impossible for me to even hold hands with the guy even though the room was dark and no one would have noticed. But still it was fun, my dad annoying everyone by knowing each and every line to the movie and reciting them along even after we begged him to stop. My mom even brought out the old time popcorn maker we keep in the corner of the room, usually unplugged. But for the first time in ages she plugged it in and made everyone of us our own little bowl of buttery popcorn. 

So this night can seriously be written down as fantastic in my book, especially when Ethan made me write my phone number on the inside of his wrist so that he could call me up and talk to me even though we're just across the hall from each other. At first I thought it was sort of dumb, but now that we've been talking for an hour or so, about the most random of things really, it's actually sort of fun.  

It's somewhat secretive, giving me the slightest thrill because we're able to flirt shamelessly with each other without worrying someone will know. If anyone caught us, we could just tell them we were talking with someone else. And it gives our pretty damn odd relationship-or whatever the hell it is, really-an overall sense of normalcy. Even though I'm no relationship guru, seeing as how I've never actually been in one, I know that most start out through a long series of late-night phone calls where the two talk about anything and everything. 

Even though the two of us have already admitted an attraction towards the other, I do like that he's trying to keep the flow of things as down-to-earth and normal as possible. And I do also love that I'm able to curl up underneath my covers in the darkness of my bedroom, Darko comfortably squished against my chest, and talk to him. There's not the added stress of me worrying that I don't look good or that I'm staring at him too much or something. 

"So what, do you have their names planned out and everything or something like that?" he teases, his nighttime voice warming me up even though it's just through a phone connection. 

"I do, actually," knowing that if the two of us were in person I'd probably be sticking my tongue out at him. "There's going to be Darko, of course, 'cause he's not going anywhere. And then I want a big fuzzy dog named Marco and a little fuzzy dog named Polo." 

"You're so weird," he chuckles into the phone and I can hear the rustle of something, probably bed sheets. Is it odd that I find it somewhat endearing that he's all curled into bed too, listening to me? Is he as affected my voice as I am by his? I find it hard to believe, but still...it's a nice thought. "But I do have to admit that I'd rather three dogs than three cats." 

"Oh definitely!" I agree, "Cat's and I have never gotten along. They're heinous bitches, honestly." 

"My mom used to have this cat," he starts, and I can't help but smile at how easy conversation comes to the two of us. I've never really been that great in talking to people, me either getting too bored at the topic to listen like I'm supposed to, or me not having enough interesting stories to tell. But conversation with him is pretty much effortless, it really is.