Bringing Back Hallie: Chapter Six

A/N--This has not been proofread.  Just warning you all :) I'll go over it later but I'm about to go feast on some SNOW CRABS HELLS YEAH.  Oh and this chapter is quite long and Ethan's not until the end, but he does make an appearance and it's quite cute. 

And the kid on the right, that would be Jesse.  He's very attractive too, but I think Ethan's better personally!

I'm walking up and down the crowded aisles of the supermarket just a few days later, my eyes peeled for that one brand of butter my mom always has in the fridge. It may seem like so simple of a kitchen staple, but I remember last time I got the wrong brand she flipped out for about twenty minutes. I'm definitely not making that mistake again, especially since I seem to be in her good graces now. 

We went shopping for the dress that I'm going to have to wear to that banquet, and even though my mom was pretty tense with me at first, she eventually lightened up and we even joked around a little bit. Darla was still a bit miffed at me, I recall, her sitting in the backseat of my mom's SUV while typing and frowning at her phone.  

But still, I'll take what I can get for now. 

"There it is," I mumble to myself when the familiar container catches my eye. I take a couple of steps across the dirty linoleum floors and then have to tip toe to grab the container, but once I have it I feel much better. More accomplished. My mom might not give me a huge rant tonight. 

I then toss it in the shopping cart with everything else that I've gotten and then go to head further on down the aisle, but before I can even make it I see two familiar faces walking up to me, making a light smile touch my lips.  

"Hey bitch," Jeanie greets jokingly as her and Jesse finish their little trek up to me. She looks as gorgeous as always today, even though she's probably still dressed in what she slept in. The standard sweatpants that they sold before graduation are resting on her narrow hips while a tight white camisole adorns her chest. Her dark brown hair is pulled into the messiest of buns, but her big blue eyes are always wide awake and sparkling, making up for the slack that she obviously put into her appearance this morning. 

If I looked like that, people would probably run for the hills. 

But she's Jeanie so of course it works for her. 

"Hey whore," I greet right on back, and then look over towards the heartbreakingly handsome guy standing right next to her, the guy that has always made my heart skip an extra beat. Jesse Rhyley. I've known him ever since I was a kid, longer than Jeanie's known him actually, but I never really noticed him until around tenth grade. He sat next to me in English class and while he never spoke a word to me, he did once smile at me when I walked in to class. 

The pathetic part is that that one little smile made my entire week. 

Why? Well, simply because he's hot as fuck, he's quiet and mysterious, and he has that whole bad boy just wanting to be fixed façade going on. And then when I met Jeanie and realized he was one of her good friends, I realized that I was right the whole time. Even around Fred, his best friend, Jesse doesn't speak much and I guess that that's something that's always gotten about him. He intrigues me, he really does.  

And he's gorgeous too.  

Have I mentioned that? 

But I don't let myself drool for too long, knowing that it'll only cause Jeanie to roll her eyes at me and taunt, so I greet him too, "Hey Jesse." 

"Hey Hallie, long time no see." Goodness gravy, just the sound of his voice makes me want to turn into a little puddle of Hallie at his feet. So deep, so smooth, so....just sexy. My God, this kid is like sex on legs.