Bringing Back Hallie: Chapter Twenty-Four

A/N--So this is the end of Bringing Back Hallie!  Took me forever to get it finished, but I have to say that I'm in love with this adorable little ending I've given it :) I hope you're happy with it too and can leave me some awesome comments.  Also, this chapter somewhat sets up my new story about a cute little fashion blogger and one of the characters from this story, which I haven't started writing yet but should soon.  You should all keep an eye out for it ;) So I hope you like this and the story as a whole! You guys are awesome :)

"He's my boyfriend! Give me a turn for Christ's sake!" I yell at my mom as she doesn't let Ethan out of her maternal grasp. I'm not going to lie, I do find it quite strange how close my mom and Ethan have become ever since we got together two years ago. I think it's because she pretty much sees him as a son now, seeing as how he practically lives with us when he's not gone doing his music thing. 

Ethan looks at me over my mom's shoulder and gives me a cute little wink, as if he's reassuring me that he's not going to leave me for my mother or something. But he doesn't let her go, as if he's in on annoying me just as much as my mom is.  

Little booger.  

It's only been two weeks since I've seen him, but still. When you get used to having someone you love around you constantly and then have them whisked away to New York for talk show gigs and CD signings, it sucks. Big time. 

After the extremely successful tour with my dad, Ethan's career exploded. One year after, he has one extremely successful first album, along with a very hyped-about sophomore album coming out in just a couple of months. His videos are played all the time on the country television station, as well as his one crossover song doing extremely well on VH1. People recognize him on the street constantly, and I've learned that nothing will stop his rabid fans from pushing me out of the way to get to him. 

But I can't blame them, honestly. The dude's spectacular. And it's reinforced once again just how truly amazing he is when he finally drops my mother's grasp and then hurries over to me. He swirls me up in his arms, planting a quick kiss on my forehead before just holding me against him. God I've missed him. I'd just gotten used to having him around me all the time (his work luckily kept him Nashville for about five months) and then I was forced to say goodbye. 

I'd gotten spoiled. 

When we pull apart my mom says, "Alright! So now that he's back, I'm going to go run to the store and get stuff for our big spectacular dinner. Sound good?" 

And I love her in that moment, because I know she's just giving Ethan and I alone time. My sister and my dad are spending the day at a shooting range in town-since she's now at a dating age, my dad's getting a bit overprotective-so Ethan and I are going to have at least an hour together. She's so awesome. 

My mom and I are super close now, ever since I've calmed down. I haven't gotten drunk in quite some time, and I only ever have drinks occasionally if Ethan and I are out at dinner-I am legal now, thank God-or if we're at some banquet thing or a fancy music party. But that's it. And, like doing that had waved some magic wand over the roof of our house, my home life is pretty damn fantastic. I no longer hate coming down to dinner and I can have these awesome girl movie nights with my mom and Darla and pig out on Ben and Jerry's.  

It sounds pretty lame, I know, but it makes me happy. 

I'm extremely happy with how my life is going right now, and that's something I never thought I'd say in a million years. 

My mom asks, "Oh hey, you want to invite Jesse and Mackie to dinner tonight? They haven't been over in a while." 

"Sure, I'll text em," I tell her, loving how my mom approves of my friends now and never hesitates to invite them over. Mackie has been dating my ex-crush for about six months now, and they're one of the cutest couples I've ever seen in my life. She's blonde and perfect, gorgeous enough to have an extremely successful run as a makeup and hair blogger, but sweeter than anyone I've ever met. And when you pair that with Jesse's quiet broodiness, it's an opposite reaction that's beyond perfect.