Imagine #2: Gordie Lachance

it was a particularly cloudy wednesday, you were at castle rock's public library. you constantly went there for an escape from your nagging home life. you were reading a new novel when you kept hearing a repeated tapping from a table nearby. you looked over to see a boy about your age; looking frustrated with something.

alright, y/n, time for your good deed for the day. you thought. maybe he's just having some trouble with an assignment for english or something. you picked up your book, put it in your bag and walked over. the boy realizing this, took his one small, yet quite stuffed, binder off of the chair next to him and set it on the table. you smiled politely and took the seat.

"alright," you said looking at the cover of his messy binder at the name. "gordie. do you need some help with your schoolwork?" you asked shifting in your seat to face him. he looked skeptical at first but his expression softened after a moment.

"oh no this isn't schoolwork.." he trailed off, glancing down at his hands that rested in his lap under the table.

"alright then what is it?" you questioned him.

"just a story i'm having trouble with writing.. nothing important." he mumbled the last part and went to grab his binder and put his stuff away; indicating it was time for him to go. but you, being slightly intrigued, pressed the matter.

"what's the story about?" you asked another question. he stopped in his tracks and faced you once again.

"two friends leaving their hometown and traveling across the country to find better things than what offered them there." he replied.

"that was specific. you have a pretty solid storyline so why are you having trouble?" you stated, your eyebrows furrowed.

"well i've finished everything but i don't know what to do about the ending." he confessed hesitantly.

"you said they travelled across the country, right? well maybe you could make them split up when they get into one state. like one of them wants to stay there while the other wants to continue the trip." you suggested. his face was still for a moment while he was looked off into the distance, whispering something inaudible. then he quickly opened his binder and ripped out one of many pages of looseleaf. he started writing something down and after several minutes he turned to you proudly.

sighing happily, he said, "thank you...sorry i didn't catch your name."

"oh it's y/n," you replied. "now what'd you write?" you said chuckling. gordies voice was prominent over the library's quiet atmosphere so naturally, it sounded all the better.

"After trekking back from the edge of the cliff, Duncan grabbed my arm roughly before I got a chance to climb into the truck. 'I want to stay. I can't go back to Missouri.' His tone was quiet but his expression spoke volumes. His pale eyes looked sadly into mine.

Why? Why didn't i want him to? I don't know. We're expected as friends to allow them to do what's best for them, to look out for each other, to better each other. Was it so selfish of me to want drive back to Missouri with him even though he would be heartbroken about leaving here? Leaving Arizona? Not the place we spent years in but rather the place we stayed at a week for?

I guess so. Either way, I'd have to let him.

Duncan's always been too stubborn anyways."

"gordie, that was great. i loved it." you smiled happily.

"you think? i don't know i kinda just whipped it up quick.." he started but you quickly stopped him.

"amazing," you interrupted. "i've got to go but listen, if you're ever stuck again; just find me here. i'm always here." you smiled once again at the boy, grabbed your things and quietly exited the library, knowing all too well you'd be seeing a lot of Gordie Lachance from now on.

hI everyone hope ya enjoyed this!! i thought of this idea in school and wrote it as soon as i got the chance lol

also sorry i haven't posted imagines a lot even though the title is stand by me IMAGINES. jesus fuck i'm just not creative soOoOoO

aLSO sorry if there's spelling or grammatical errors i wrote this in a bit of a rush