10 | down the rabbit hole

RORY DROVE DOWN THE DIRT ROAD LEADING UP TO THE OLD STEEL MILL IN THE POURING RAIN

RORY DROVE DOWN THE DIRT ROAD LEADING UP TO THE OLD STEEL MILL IN THE POURING RAIN. She pulled up to the dilapidated building just as a scruffy looking teenage boy, completely soaked to the bone, ran up to the passenger side. She unlocked the doors to let Peter into her uncle's jeep.

"I thought you had something to show me?" Rory asked tightly.

"We can't go back in there, Rory, I think the cops are going to come back," Peter said, somewhat disturbed by what he had discovered and wanting to preserve some of Rory's innocence. "I'll tell you everything you want to know though," he offered instead. "Just drive please." He looked around the car curiously, not having ever seen Rory drive before in the three months she had been in the town.

It stormed harder outside as Rory drove off, her eyes trained on the road. "Fine," she gritted out, still annoyed that the two boys were keeping secrets from her. "Why did you and Roman come here?"

"This morning we went to the Willoughby house to try to find some clues about Lisa's lat whereabouts, maybe find the rest of her body," Peter explained.

"You broke in or they let two strange teenage boys into their grieving household?"

"Well does breaking in count as Roman commanding Mr. Willoughby to go to sleep so we can come in?" Peter asked, eyeing the girl for her reaction.

She looked at him like he was stupid. "Yes."
Rory wasn't oblivious to Roman's uncanny ability to get whatever he wanted, literally, by just telling people what to do as he stared into their eyes. It was weird, but she's seen weirder things.

"So, you two did a little breaking-and-entering this morning, but Roman came with me to the baby's doctor appointment this afternoon, before my therapy appointment," Rory said, pacing out the timeline in her head of the wild day. "So what were you doing in the meantime? Digging up bodies again?"

"No," Peter scrunched his nose. He fumbled over his words as a flush took over his cheeks. "I, uh, was meeting up with Letha at the diner. She found some interesting things about Olivia Godfrey."

"So you went on a diner date with Letha?" Rory was glad her friends were finally growing closer. She knew how much both of them liked each other. "Roman would've mentioned that to me, so I assume he doesn't know?"

"He wouldn't be happy," Peter shot her a pleading look. "Don't tell him."

"Why not?" Rory looked at him weirdly. "Yeah, he's overprotective sometimes, but you should tell your friend you're seeing the girl he views as another sister."