36; Leaving The Bad Boy

Start from the beginning

"There was no other way," he mumbles quietly as he looks down at the floor. "If I didn't shoot him I would have lost you. And by that point, I knew that if I shot him that I would risk losing you anyway. I expected you to run away from me and I was ready to let you go. I would rather see you alive and with someone else than you dead because of Eric."

His words seem to melt all my doubts away. Maybe it's temporary, but I've never been so convinced and sure that I love him. His father may have been a monster, but what Eric had done doesn't define Hunter.

"But you're here and I feel like the luckiest person in the world. Why did you end up staying with me after that? Doesn't it scare you that I could kill a person like that?"

"Would you kill me?" I ask.

"What? No. Why would you ask that?"

"Then why should I leave you? What you did wasn't wrong. It was self-defence."

After our chat in the shower, we resume with cleaning ourselves up, taking turns on soaping each other. We didn't end up doing anything that could be classified as inappropriate except for a few kisses because I'm still slightly sore from last night.

Even though last night had been amazing, I still feel like I want more. I want something a little more rough and fast and dirty, but I understand that last night was not the right time. I was still getting used to the feeling and pain and going too hard could lead to an injury. Hunter understands it too. He had been nothing but patient and caring, always gauging out my reaction whenever he did something.

"Where should we get lunch?" Hunter asks as he continues to pack his bag.

"Are we not eating here?"

"No. The food was terrible. I could hardly get through breakfast this morning."

"The egg did taste funny. Where do you wanna go?"

We end up going to a small cafe nearby that serves the most delicious plate of Greek yoghurt chicken salad sandwich. Hunter went with spicy chicken and avocado wrap that I found out to be even more delicious than what I had ordered.

For once I can finally take my jacket off and relish the warm air and sunlight. Living in Davenport your whole life has its perk. For one, you don't have to put in the effort to shave your legs every day because it's too cold to wear anything short outside anyway.

"What's on your mind?" He mumbles as we sit on the bench in front of a massive church.

"I'm scared of college. I don't know. Just the thought of having to wait for so long to see you again is just..."

"Your college is only two and a half hours away from mine. I'll visit you every month. Let's not think about that. Let's just make the most out of the time we have left now."

Sadness starts to creep at the thought of having to go back home and then going to college where I will have to be away from Hunter for so long. On top of that, I will have to start from scratch on finding new friends and adapting to a completely new environment.

We stroll along the church and watch the couple of people sitting on the benches, their head tilted down as they pray.

+

"You're going to be fine."

I shake my head, my nose starting to sting as I try to hold back tears. Hunter grabs my hand, chuckling as I harshly wipe my tears away. "What will you do now?"