Chapter 11: The Task Force

It was approaching midnight.

L was in one of the Tokyo hotel suite's bedrooms helping Bean get into his pajamas.

"I'm not sleepy, Papa," Bean remarked, wrinkling his small nose as L lifted the little boy's t-shirt over his head.

"I know," L said, kneeling in front of the now shirtless child in the patterned footie pajama pants. "It's only afternoon in England." He tossed the striped t-shirt into a corner and reached for the cotton pajama shirt on the bed.

"Because of the sun," Bean pointed out, his eyes brightening with understanding. L had used a globe to explain Japan's time difference before they had left the United Kingdom.

"That's right," L nodded. He held open the long-sleeve shirt, patterned to match the pants, and Bean ducked his head through the hole.

"Papa?"

"Hm?"

"I'm hungry." Bean tilted his head as he pulled one long sleeve over his arm.

L glanced over at a clock on the wall. Back in England, it was past lunchtime, but the Task Force would be arriving very soon.

"Alright, come on," L stood to his full height as Bean finished adjusting the shirt over his small, pale frame. "Get your hoodie."

Bean turned toward the bed and retrieved the light yellow zip-up hoodie with brown fleece bear ears. Pulling it on, he followed his papa to the kitchen area.

L opened the refrigerator and took out a platter of deli sandwiches.

"You'll have to eat in your room," he explained to Bean as he opened the cupboard and took out a plate. He set it on the counter, and his index finger and thumb lifted a sandwich to place it on the ceramic dish.

"I'm not sleepy," Bean said again, holding a drawstring to his mouth. He looked rather like a teddy bear standing there in his soft hoodie with the rounded ears.

"You can come out when you're done," L said patiently. "But you have to be very quiet. I'll be working, alright?"

Bean just nodded, his inky black hair flopping up and down over his eyes.

Some strawberries joined the sandwich on the plate. L poured a glass of milk and handed it to Bean. Then taking the plate, he headed back into the bedroom with his mini-me in tow.

Against one wall, to the left of the large bed with the plush comforter, was a wooden desk. L set the plate atop it, and Bean lifted the glass of milk to the desk's corner. Its contents nearly spilled over, but L's quick hand prevented disaster. Bennett climbed up into the desk chair as L looked toward the clock again. It was just past twelve 'clock midnight.

"I have to go," L said, looking back down at the small Bean with his hands pocketed. "But I'll be just out in the living room."

Bean nodded, his mouth filled with a bite of the sandwich he held in both hands.

A smile rounded L's mouth, and he reached out to toussle the little boy's thick, black hair under his hood. A tightness formed in his chest as he felt the weight of what he was about to do.

No one in the world outside of a select few individuals had ever knowingly seen L's face or heard his true voice. But tonight, all of that would change.

As L stepped out of the bedroom, he turned in the doorframe, holding the handle.

"Bean?"

Small and slender blue eyes swiveled to meet a tired, grey pair. Bean tipped his head as he took another bite of his turkey sandwich. "Mm?"