Chapter 7: The Flood

It was a quiet evening in the big hotel suite. A wall clock ticked steadily and every now and then, the soft click-clacking of a computer keyboard came from the desk where L sat hunched in his swivel chair.

Bean played quietly on the floor nearby, absorbed in a 500-piece puzzle that claimed to be suitable for children ages 8 and up.

Watari stopped in the doorway for a moment as he entered the room from the kitchen. He smiled as he took in the scene before him.

These two were very nearly a copy and paste of one another. A wave of nostalgia reminded the old man of days that didn't really seem all that long ago, when another messy-haired little boy played contentedly by himself with puzzles that were incredibly advanced for his young age.

It had been nearly two weeks since Bean had come to live with them. He was a good boy, and he had adjusted surprisingly quickly. He was happy to simply be in the room with L and was not especially needy when it came to attention. As long as he had something to occupy his brilliant little mind, he was content.

Even still, it was a big adjustment for L. He wasn't used to taking breaks throughout his day in order to spend time with someone, let alone a three-year-old child. Things like holding Bean's hand or goodnight hugs were very foreign to L. But it was clear that the small boy had already come to mean a great deal to the reclusive detective, and Watari couldn't help but feel proud of him. He was trying, and he was managing extremely well.

All seemed right in their little world.

Clearing his throat, Watari stepped forward.

"Bean, come along now," he said kindly. "It's time for bed."

Bean stood to his feet, one drawstring trailing down from his mouth to his hoodie. He looked over toward L and hesitated, then looked directly at Watari.

"No," his small voice said simply.

L furrowed his brow and turned to look at the small Bean.

Watari raised his white eyebrows.

"Bean," he said carefully. "You know the rules. It's time for bed, now come along."

Bean tipped his head and stuffed his small hands into his hoodie pockets.

"No," he said again.

Watari looked toward L who was staring at the unusually defiant child with a completely baffled expression. The old man sighed and tried one more time.

"That's enough, Bean," he said firmly. "No more nonsense, now. Come on."

Bean looked down at his feet. The string hanging from his mouth moved slightly as he chewed on the end of it. Then, ignoring Watari, he just sat down and continued with the puzzle.

Watari turned and moved to stand beside the desk.

L looked up at him through wide, grey eyes.

"Well," Watari sighed. "We knew this would happen eventually."

L chewed on the end of his thumb as he looked over at the little Bean who was playing quietly again. "Just... give him a few more minutes," he said slowly.

But Watari shook his head. "He's testing us, L. Children do this, it's normal. But you're his father and he needs to see you as such. This is part of being a parent. Now go on."

L looked at Watari again and hesitated. Then, with a sigh, he stood to his bare feet and shuffled over to Bean. He crouched down on the floor with his hands on his knees.

"Bean... look at me."

The small boy just continued playing with the colorful wooden pieces.

Firmly, L repeated, "Look at me."