Chapter 20: The Paradigm Shift

"Good, Bean." L nodded as he crouched on the gym mat before his son, a pair of punch mitts held up in his hands. "Try it again."

Bean planted his feet and braced himself with his fists up by his face. Then he stuck his tongue out in concentration before side kicking one of the pads again, his small leg parallel with the floor.

"A little harder. Don't hesitate," L encouraged him.

"Hes'tate?" Bean brushed some hair out of his eyes, tipping his head curiously.

"Yes, it means to hold back. To be unsure." L held the mitts out a little more. "Be sure of your movements. Hit hard and with confidence."

Bean nodded and planted his feet in position again. He tucked his lips inward with determination as he eyed the spot he wanted to kick. Then he threw his leg out, and the bottom of his foot hit the pad with a thwack! The difference was noticeable.

"Much better. Again."

Thwack!

"Good. Keep going."

Bean's nose scrunched with childish ferocity. His fingers curled a little tighter, and he performed the maneuver several more times.

"Alright, that's good." L nodded with approval, unable to hide a very small but proud smile. "Let's do the other side now."

"Can I get a drink first?" Bean asked, rubbing his forehead with his white dōgi sleeve.

"Go ahead." L lowered his mitted hands to flop between his bent legs with his elbows on his knees.

Bean trotted over to where his Pokémon water bottle sat on a bench. Picking it up with both hands, he took a long drink.

It was Matt who had first introduced Bean to the Pokémon franchise through a video game. But then Matsuda had brought in his card collection, much to the head-shaking of the rest of the Task Force, and Bean loved them now. The water bottle had shortly thereafter been purchased for him by Watari. On multiple occasions, the patient old man had been subjected to childishly long and detailed monologues about the Japanese pocket monsters. So when he had seen the colorful canteen in a market, his white mustache had twitched with amusement, and he'd simply had to procure the small gift.

"Papa?"

"Yes?"

Bean set the water bottle back on the bench, and his bare feet padded back over to L. "Um-- do you ever hesitate?"

"I try not to." L held up the mitts again. "Once I know what my target is, I try to strike as quickly and accurately as I can."

"Like with Kira?"

L's brow furrowed slightly. "Kira?" What did he have to do with his son's karate lesson?

"Well..." Bean shrugged. "You think Light is Kira. But you haven't arrested him..." Dark eyebrows lifted frankly. "You're hesitating."

L sighed, flopping his hands down again. "That is quite different," he stated. "I cannot arrest him without substantial evidence."

Bean's arms swung limply back and forth. "Then how do you get sub...antle evidence?"

"Substantial," L corrected. "And that, I do not know yet."

Sighing, Bean looked sideways as he scratched his forehead. He grew very quiet. Then he put up his hands and assumed the proper position for a side kick using the opposite leg.

His practicing went on awhile longer before there was a light knock on the bamboo and frosted glass door. It opened halfway, and Matsuda poked his head in.