Happy Birthday to You and to You

"What's this I hear about someone having a birthday on March 27th?" I heard a familiar voice behind me ask. I turned around to find my favorite eyes, smile, and hair behind me. " Oh how did you hear?" I asked, trying to make it less obvious how ecstatic I was to see him. "Grapevine, and there's a special reason I ask." He replied with anticipation. Different answer probabilities zoomed through my head before I asked him why. "Well, guess whose birthday is on the same day." I couldn't believe what I heard. Glenn Carter has the same birthday as me? My excitement was a bit too apparent as I reached up and hugged him. Thankfully he embraced my giddiness as he picked me up in a hug in return. He slowly spun me around as we embraced from excitement. Even when he let me go, we still didn't break physical contact. When I arrived on set that morning, my body was numb from the excitement. I hid my present for Glenn: a scrapbook filled with pictures of us that we've taken together as well as some typed out anecdotes of our conversations, in my filming day bag. No one except Glenn and myself knew what was special about today, except when we were called to our mess hall. Huh? We don't get out for lunch that early. The whole company made it to the room before I did. Glenn and I just happened to have met up while walking over and held hands as we tried to catch up with everyone. We open the door to be surprised by the whole cast. We were both caught off guard as we walked in stunned. We embraced and exchanged birthday wishes as the cast sang "Happy Birthday". We joined, in singing to each other. Two cakes awaited us on a table: chocolate for Glenn, and red velvet for me. Some other party treats and refreshments joined them. We laughed as we awkwardly found a comfortable position in which we could hold each others hair back to blow out our candles together. We cut each other's cakes together and sat together to eat. At one point, Glenn offered me a bite of his cake and I returned the favor with my cake. I reached down into my filming bag for Glenn's present and card. "This is for you, I made it myself". I smiled widely as he said "Thank you, darling." He laughed at what I wrote in his card: "You may not be a holy figure, but I am blessed to be performing with you. Happy Birthday, love you xoxo!!" He slipped the card back in its envelope and opened the scrapbook. With every photo and anecdote he viewed, I could tell he was touched by how much work and love was put into his gift. Right after he closed the book, I saw a tear form. "Oh, was it that good?" I teased as I wiped those tears from his eyes. He gave a sad laugh as he sniffed " This is the most heartfelt and sweetest thing, any costar has given me." He gushed. He kissed my hand and pressed it to his nose as he continued to choke up. "C'mon G, this is not a day for tears unless they're of joy" I said while trying to not cry myself. I kissed his forehead and we hugged, much lighter than the previous times. One hand snuck down and gave a few playful squeezes to his side to make him laugh. "Alright," he said, recovered from his tears "soon as filming wraps up, you'll get your present." I stepped back in toddler like offense "Aaww, now I'm not gonna concentrate during filming now that you've said that!" He laughed as he pulled me in for what felt like our billionth hug this week. I waited on the set until the last scene of the day wrapped up. Glenn had washed up and brought his guitar with him. "So." He began, sitting down in front of me setting himself up. "For your birthday present, I had thought about what do get you. Then I realized, what do you get someone who already has everything? I remembered how you always loved hearing me play my original work, so I wrote a song for the girl who seems to have it all." With that, he began to strum. It was a casual yet beautiful melody and his lyrics soothed and moved me. I began to cry close to the end, which Glenn noticed and tried not to mirror as he played the last few chords of his new music masterpiece. "Happy Birthday darling." he whispered as he pulled some hair out of my face and wiped my tears away. That settles it I am marrying this man!!