Part 2: The Bar

I stumbled out of the club, my head still swirling with emotions. 

"Hey, you okay, bud?" Someone spoke to my left. I turned towards the right and began walking away. The voice came back, but it was more childish and timid. "B?"

I shook my head and didn't dare look back. I had to get out of there. 

The night air was warm, but the breeze from the ocean just a few blocks away kept me cool. The street was littered with cars lined up and people laughing, walking back and forth from their cars and into buildings. I passed an alley and stopped to glance down it. 

The emptiness reminded me of home. 

Charlie, Paul, Two, and I were all from the same hometown, but we didn't meet until we went to high school together here. We always thought it was a funny story. I was even in the same grade school at Charlie, but we never met. I always thought he looked familiar, but he also has one of those faces.

Paul went to a school a few miles outside of the town, but he lived just down the street from Two, who was homeschooled. Figures.

Our town was small, and empty. Shops got closed down almost every week, and of course, I'd take advantage and make those vacant spaces my home. Sam was the one thing that saved me. 

I scoffed at the alley and it's mysterious pull that made me want to sit down outside the door of a boarded up gas station and fiddle with the lock until I got inside. Turning, I made my way towards the corner building on the street that had a soft glow coming from the windows.

Aspen's Call was a shitty diner during the daylight hours, and an even shittier bar at night. Just my kind of place. 

"Ey, Blake!" Tess called out from her usual booth. I gave a polite wave and made my way to my stool. A new bartender appeared in front of me and I almost rolled my eyes. 

"What can I get for ya?" He asked cheerily. I checked my watch. One in the morning.

"A cider." I mumbled.

"We have two, sir. Which one?"

I finally made eye contact with the bartend. "Two?" I felt a little silly for being offended by such a fact, but it didn't matter. I was already beyond buzzed. "As long as I've been coming here, you've only had the one."

"W-Well, sir," the boy started, but I cut him off.

"Just give me the cheapest one." And with that, I slammed a five and two ones down on the counter. The bartender took a five and a one, leaving a dollar on the wooden bar top.

I sneered at it, snatched it up, and shoved it back in my pocket. My drink was placed in front of me without another word, and I began to sip on it, turning in my seat to view the night's crowd. A few regulars, like Tess, but also a few newbies to join. They were always bringing new people to this shithole. Some people from the clubs down the street had wandered in, no doubt trying to use the booths for a quick nap. The owner didn't mind.

"Hey, B."

I froze, almost dropping my cider straight to the floor.

"B?" Sam asked again when I didn't turn around. I felt a small hand tap on my shoulder. "Wanna tell me what's wrong? You know we're brothers, right?"

"You're not my brother, Sam." I grumbled without turning around. "Now get out of here."

Nothing.

I turned to face him, and there he was, sitting on the bar stool next to me and sipping on an apple juice box. He gave me a side eye glance, pretending like he didn't notice me. He always did that to piss me off.

"How are you even in here?" I turned to face him fully, keeping my voice down. "And how in the world did you get into that club? You're a kid!"

The blonde cherub gave me a toothy grin. "I wanted to talk to you, B."