Chapter 1 Love in a Hard World

Katniss POV

Screaming rips me from my sleep. I shoot up and see Prim screaming so I scoot over to her, wrapping my arms around her.

"Its okay Prim. Its just a nightmare." I say rocking her back and fourth. 

"It was me. They picked me." she says. I run my hand through her soft blonde hair. "Katniss, what if they pick me?"

"They won't, I promise. Its your first time. Your only in once." I say. "They won't pick you." She nods and hugs me tightly. "I gotta go but I'll be back before you leave. Okay?" she pulls away and nods. "Lay with mom until than."

"Alright, be careful." she says. I nod and climb out of bed. Poor Prim really thinks they'll pick her but I'm sure they won't. I pull brush my hair and braid it like I always have it. Than I pull my hunting boots on along with my dad's old leather hunting jacket. Than Buttercup hisses at me as I walk to the door. "I will eat you, stupid cat." I open the creaky door and leave, walking toward the forest. I look at the people of District 12, all dirty and underfed. I walk to the huge, electric fence that is supposed to be on but 12 is too poor so its off most of the day. I crawl through the small hole and jog to the woods, disappearing though the trees. I walk an old, dead tree and pull my bow and sheath of arrows out, slinging it over my shoulder but keeping out one arrow for protection. I walk to a cliff, overlooking the valley and sit letting my legs hang over the edge. I rest and look at all the beauty, the peace of the valley. A twig snapping makes me jump and turn, aiming my bow at Peeta?

"Calm down there Kitty." he says smiling. I smile and stand up, walk over to him and into his arms.

"Don't scare me like that." I say wrapping my arms around his neck. Thankfully, he isn't that tall, about 2 inches taller than me.

"But its so fun scaring the big bad hunter Katniss Everdeen." he says. 

"Haha. Very funny." I say leaning in and pressing my lips to his. I don't care what anybody says. Peeta Mellark is the best kisser in the history of kissers. Its like kissing an angel. He slides his hands down my back and to my butt. He can be very mischievous though. I pull away making him frown.

"Not here, and not today. Maybe tonight." I whisper. He groans but nods. We sit down and I rest my head on his shoulder. "You worried about today?"

"Yeah, worried you'll get picked." he says. I smile and look back to the valley. "But really? I'm am, I can't lose you nor Rye." Rye is his older brother. Only 17.

"You guys won't get picked, I promise and neither will I." I say. He nods and lays back. 

"By the way, I brought you a gift." he says reaching in his bag he brought. "Here." he hands my a loaf of warm bread.

"Peeta! You could get in trouble." I say sitting back up. He chuckles and shakes his head.

"Nah, I made it and asked my dad. You know he likes you and said yes. Its fine." he says. I take in and inhale the fresh smell making him laugh. "I forgot you never get something like this."

"Thank you Peeta. At least Prim will have something real to eat. And she can put some goat cheese on it." I say. He nods and we stand up. 

"I wish we could run away, you know? Just far away from here." he says as we start to walk back.

"Where would we go? We wouldn't get 5 miles. They'd catch us and cut out our tongues." I say. He looks down and sighs. "Peeta, I know you want to leave but we can't we have families."

"I know and your right. I just wish things could be different." he says. I stop him and wrap my arms around his neck again. "I love you Katniss."

"I love you too Peeta and we will be okay. I promise you this but we have to head back.." he nods and we walk back to my house. "See you at the town square." he gives me one last kiss and nods.

"Okay, see you than." he says walking away but not wanted to let go of my hand. Finally he does and I enter my house to see Prim in her Reaping outfit. My old one. A blue long skirt and white blouse.

"You look beautiful little duck." I say kneeling down. "But better tuck that tail in of your's." I tuck the lose part of the blouse under her skirt. She smiles and gives me a hug.

"I laid something out for you too." mom says. I nod and walk to my room, washing up and stopping to look at a blue dress that belonged to mom. I pull it on and walk out to see both mom and Prim smiling. "Let me do your hair." mom starts to brush and braid my hair in a very special way. Afterwards we stand before a mirror. "Now you look beautiful too."

"You really do Katniss." Prim says. Than a horn goes off calling us to the square. I take Prim's hand and we all start for the square. To the Reaping, bound to take the life of two more innocent 12 children.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, good first chapter? I really hope so.

Nikki :)