18.1| Sparking a Fire

Start from the beginning

"Are you insane, little miss? Why would you go that far for someone you just met?"

Chell parted her lips, murmuring softly. "Someone... once told me... to always help others... whenever I could help them."

"That someone is an idiot."

The air in the room turned dangerously cold in an instant. Noct felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise. A puff of frosted smoke formed as he breathed out. Even though the witch's face hadn't changed a bit, the atmosphere around her had suddenly turned menacing. It was at that moment when the Crow Thief realized he was not supposed to say that.

He pushed back his fear and waved his hands in surrender, nervously laughing. "I-I'm sorry. I crossed a line, little miss. Please calm down before you freeze this room–and me."

Chell blinked as though not realizing what she had done. Noct shivered as the temperature in the room gradually returned to its natural state. He took a small, nervous step back from her, suddenly recalling that the witch in front of him was a Titled and a Vitte. From what he had learned the other day, Chell was someone far, far more dangerous than what he had first thought. Her appearance merely made him forget about the abilities she held back behind her frail figure.

The Snow Witch finally lowered her gaze. She grasped onto the strap of her satchel.

"I... don't have... much time..."

"What do you mean?"

Her words were quiet, but it resounded through the room. "... I can't... stay in one place... for too long."

There was an edge in her tone. As if there was something more to what she had just shared.

"Why?" Noct asked curiously.

She was still looking down, hiding her expression. She seemed hesitant. Uneasy.

"I... I'll tell you soon... Someday."

Noct studied her figure, thinking about what he was getting himself into. Under normal circumstances, he'd have prioritized his own safety first. It would have been so easy to leave her at this moment and begin anew in this foreign kingdom. After all, he believed it was only a matter of time before he got used to this place and restored his fame as a cunning thief, stealing from unsuspecting nobles and rich women and leading a life of deceit.

He loved the thrill of a chase, but he hated getting involved in danger. Noct was calculating, and if he predicted there was a big chance of getting himself into more danger than he could handle, he would run away without a second thought.

And yet, somehow, he couldn't think to do that now.

Perhaps it was because he was both amused and in awe of the little miss' naivety. Perhaps it was because of the promise of money. Perhaps it was because of the threat of the dead. Or perhaps it was even because of the conversation they had last night, the sense of connection he had felt when he finally was able to have a proper conversation with her. Whatever it was, Noct was unable to leave Chell alone because of it.

What am I getting myself into?

He sighed, settling his nerves and breathing out a sentence he knew he'd come to regret right after.

"Then use me instead, little miss."

The Snow Witch finally looked up at him. It seemed like she had not expected him to say that of all things. Noct felt the same. Never, in his life, had he ever considered offering help. However, some part of him knew that he'd already willingly agreed to this the moment they had sealed the oath. This was him reaping what he sowed.

No turning back. You're the one getting yourself into this.

He nodded, repeating what he said more firmly. "Use me. I'll be the one to go and look for Jul instead. Stay here in the palace."

A few seconds of silence went between them as they stared into each other.

"But... why?"

The Snow Witch's question hung between them, waiting to be answered.

Noct smirked, regaining his usual lighthearted demeanor. He placed a hand over his chest and made a small bow. "Why of course, because I'm the perfect one for the job! Don't underestimate a thief when it comes to looking for things that are hidden. I'm quick, nimble and have terrific eyesight. I'll have a better vantage point from the top of the roofs. Also... I'm not prone to getting lost, unlike a certain little miss."

He winked at her playfully, though was unable to get a response as he expected. He continued on.

"Additionally, it's dangerous for both you and Yoko to go outside at this moment. If a witch was responsible for the attack last night, then the princess is still in danger. She can't trust anyone. You might be the only witch powerful enough to not be swayed by another's magic. Also, I believe it's best to remain hidden behind the walls at this moment. I'm not sure if Yoko has announced that you're a witch among those in the palace, but since she's smart, I doubt she did. If they were to know that a powerful witch stayed here as a guest last night, they might point the blame to you–either as an accomplice or mastermind. Staying near her and protecting her would prove you have no ill-intent."

Chell blinked as he finished his sentence. "... I... didn't consider that..."

Noct grinned. "Aren't you glad to have such a capable partner at your side?"

She released her grip on her satchel, seemingly thinking of what he had just said. After a moment, she shook her head. "But... it might... be dangerous."

"You're talking to the one who went up against Worick with an arrow in his gut and survived. What's the danger in looking for a hyperactive witch-thief?"

She remained silent. A look of unease was written on her expression. Seeing this, The Crow Thief knelt down and took her bandaged hand in his own. Chell flinched, but did not try to move away. Alone together in the large room with the morning sunlight running across the floor, Noct shared a private smile between the two of them.

"Don't worry, little miss. I'll do my best to find her. Use me as you will, order me as you wish. The oath we made still stands and I intend to see through it."

Or at least... it seems that I do now.

Days ago, Noct had been working the perfect opportunity to leave from her sight after he grew tired of her. He was merely complying to her wishes after all, because he knew he was getting something in return.

A thief holds no honor. An oath means nothing.

If that were really the case, then Noct was losing his touch. Because what he was doing now was definitely something completely out of his character. He stared once more into The Snow Witch's striking silver eyes. He could see himself reflected in them.

Before him, Chell merely nodded.

---> thank you for reading!