3// #findtessa

Tom and Tess actually have dead me tho
😫😍😫
Love E x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sounds that broke Betty from her reverie was the panicked howl that errupted from Nana after about an hour of play with Roo; Betty jumped into action, expecting to find Ruben crying from falling down a hill or bumping his head. Instead she found herself being lead into the over-growth where Roo was waiting for them, the small boy was lying with his arm over a mess of black fur that Betty soon realised was another dog. Roo was softly stroking the dog to relax it, allowing Betty to rush to the dog's aid; as the daughter of a vet, she could tell straight away that the dog was in a lot of pain.

"Hey there gorgeous," she cooed in a soft tone, slowly removing her large coat and easing it beneath the dog, "Oh a girl," she commented, catching the gender in the process. "What a pretty girl you are?" she continued. The dog was fairly large and would no doubt be heavy, however Betty had no choice but to carry her the five minute walk back to the car as there was nothing to be done out in the middle of nowhere.

They pulled up in front of her mother's house as the sun began to fall below the horison. Rue was asleep in the back next to Nana, who was acting like a pillow to the injured guest, allowing her head to lay across his belly throughout the drive.

"Elizabeth?" he mum greeted her, in her pajamas, "What a surprise?" she skipped the pleasantries showing the older woman to the car and to the dog. Between the two women, they transported the trio into the house, to the half that acted as a private veternary service. Betty waited in the kitchen with Roo and Nana whilst her mother did her best to help the wounded dog.

They waited for a few hours, silently drinking tea, or in Roo's case hot chocolate; with nobody speaking until her mother emerged from her room.

"The good news is there should be no permenant damage and no head trauma," Betty rose to her feet as Lisa washed her hands vigourously in the kitchen sink.

"And the bad news?" she pursued as Lisa turned to face her daughter, wiping her hands on a towel.

"The bad news is she does have a broken leg, three broken ribs and a fair number of nasty cuts and bruises." Her mum sighed, and took a sip of her tea "She's asleep right now, but when the drugs were off, she's going to be in a lot of discomfort for a long while." Betty winced at the words, taking a deep breath "The best thing for her is to get her home, for the sake of her mentality."

"Is that the best thing?" Betty questioned "She was beaten and bruised all on her own abandoned in a field." Her mother frowned, looking across at her daughter who had come all too acustomed with assuming the worst; remembering sadly the little girl who used to look for the light in every dark situation. Here she stood now, partially condeming a family she didn't know on the basis of an assumption she'd made without knowledge of all the facts.

"It's most likely the dog ran away in the storm, it's very common in dogs, other than all her new injures, there are no signs of neglect. Sure the dog was slightly underfed, but that's probably because she's been on her own for a day or so and she's not any more, but that dog is strong and healthy and it's nails kept clipped and her teeth are in good condition. She needs to be at home while she recovers with the family who love her and are probably are losing their minds trying to find her." Betty didn't question her mum's judgement again; she knew her mum had much more experience in these situations; instead she set up camp at her mother's home, determined to stay while the dog was here.

She sat on the floor of the room where the dog was lying, sprawled across a large dog bed bed, under aneasthetic still, Betty eased the animal's head onto her lap, stroking her gently whilst her mother took the dog off the drip she was on to wake her up. She sat their for the hour it took for the dog's body to slowly wake its self; her fist sign of consciousness was the tired whimper that left her before the small sigh.