Chapter 22 - Working Towards Friendship

Comincia dall'inizio

I turned and faced her “I. Am. Fine.” I said slowly.

Lydia narrowed her eyes at me, but let it go. “Alright, turn to page 233.” Mrs Martin begun the class. I had to admit. She was a much better teacher than Harris.

***

The day went by slowly as everyone was waiting for the Halloween party. I knew Scott would have found Kira and spoken to her despite Stiles’ warnings, but he was right. We needed to know what was going on with her.

I was sitting in the library during my spare period when Allison suddenly came up next to me and sat down.

“Umm, hi?” I said, confused.

“Okay, I know you don’t like me and only tolerate me because of Lydia and the guys, but, Anna, we used to be friends and I want to work things out.” I had no idea what to say. “I’ll start.” She said when she realized I wasn’t budging. “What I did, I know was wrong. With Kate I was confused. I had just found out about werewolves and I had no idea what to think or do so I did as I was told. But I realized Scott wasn’t a threat and that Kate had done things a thousand times worse than he ever could and I came to my senses. You understood that. We were still friends. But what I did… with Gerard. You love Derek and…” I went to open my mouth, but she cut me off, “You can’t deny it. I know you still do, we all can see it, but that’s not the point. I wanted him dead, yes. He killed my mother, but I didn’t know what she was trying to do to Scott… for no reason at all. Yes, I stabbed Isaac, but I didn’t kill him and I didn’t mean to. I knew he would heal.”

“Okay, stop.” I said. I had a feeling this would go on for a while. “Allison… I’m stubborn, okay. Very stubborn. Ask Stiles, he has to live with me.” I said with a small chuckle. “It’s not that I don’t like you because of what happened. Despite my mother’s flaws the last few years I still loved her and wish that she was here every day. I know what it feels like to lose a parent and if it hadn’t been a car accident and instead murder than I would hate to think what I would have done. But Derek didn’t kill your mother. Your family’s code did. She would have lived. My problem, Allison, is with hunters in general. You hunt and kill werewolves without knowing them. Some wouldn’t have had a choice in turning, like Scott. Others would have, but chose it to escape their own crappy lives, like Isaac. There are some power hungry and evil ones like Deucalion, yes, but not all. And what happened to him was because of your family. Some probably try to lead normal lives and have perfect control but your family will still hunt them down and kill them, even with the code. The Hale fire is proof of that and there are more than likely dozens more like it. Humans are capable of all the wickedness werewolves are, some even worse, but the hunters chose to hunt us down because of one out of control werewolf centuries ago. The most prolific serial killer killed over 300 people and he was let out of jail after 30 years and then vanished, he’d be about 60 now. La bete is dead and didn’t kill anywhere near that many and your family punishes the entire species for it. Like I said, Allison, it’s not you, it’s the hunters. But for what it’s worth I know you aren’t going to betray us again… or your father. Like I said, I’m stubborn.”

She smiled. “Does that mean we’re friends again?” She asked.

I held out my hand for her to shake, “We’ll work on it.” I said with a smile as she shook my hand and then started laughing. I then started laughing along. Neither of us had any idea why we were laughing, but that’s how Lydia found us.

“What the hell? Did I miss something?” She asked as she sat down at the table.

“Just catching up.” Allison said and I smiled at Lydia who looked between us before shrugging and taking up a seat at the table

***

School had finished and I had just gotten home to change into some new clothes for the party when I received a group message on facebook from Danny. He sent it to everyone who was going.

Due to the blackout there’s been a change in venue. – Danny.

He attached a map and when I opened it up and zoomed in on the pin point it took all my will power not to drop my phone. It was at Derek’s loft. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing if Derek was still out of town. I could only think of two people who would suggest this to Danny and they worked as one. The twins.

I had just finished getting changed into a pair of red shorts with a black belt and a white party crop top with tassels that dangled just to my belly button and a black pair of wedges when Scott rang me.

“Hey, Scotty. What’s up?”

“Could you do me a favour?” He asked.

***

"Scott! You have me standing in the middle of a hardware store surrounded by wires and fuses and your telling me to find one specific type in an isle the is 20 meters long! On both sides! Why can't you just take your bike to the mechanic? Or come get them yourself!"

"The mechanic is too expensive and you were closer to the hardware store. You're looking for male/female bullet connectors. They should be red."

"So you keep saying, but that doesn't just automatically put them in front of me! How important can they be?"

"The wires were shot and I bought new ones, but forgot the connectors. Without them I can’t connect the wires, therefore, the bike won't run."

"Okay. How about this idea. Get a new bike! That one sounds dangerous anyway and how did you get to school today?"

"Pushbike.” He answered. “Is there someone you can ask?"

"Argh. Fine. But you owe me." I said and hung up.

"You look completely lost." I heard a male voice from behind me. I turned around to see Deputy Parrish.

"Hi, yeah, I don't suppose you know what male female bullet connectors are?"

"Yeah. They're right here." He said and reached in front of me and took a plastic container off the wall with small red connectors inside.

"Of course they're right in front of me. Thank you, Parrish. What are you doing here?"

"A fuse blew in my car. I'm just buying a new one." He said. Holding up a similar container to the one he just gave me. “You look like you’re about to go to a party.” He nodded at my outfit and I suddenly felt embarrassed for some reason.

I chuckled, “Well it is Halloween.” I smiled back.

“And that merits freezing to death?”

“I have a jacket in the car, Deputy, no need to worry yourself.” He smiled when I said Deputy.

“Well, I should go, I wouldn’t want to be the reason you’re late for the party. Have fun, but being part of the law enforcement I feel obligated to say stay safe and be responsible.” He said with a smile, causing me to laugh. “I’ll see you around, Anna.”

“See ya.” I said with a final smile before he walked to the check out.

My phone started ringing again. “I got your bloody connectors, don’t worry.”

“Thanks. Just give them to me at the party and I’ll give you the money for them.”

“You’re lucky I love ya, McCall.”

“Yeah, yeah. See you soon.” He said and hung up.

Now for the Danny’s party.