The different supernatural species each had a specialised class dedicated to teaching them control and subtlety, in preparation for living in a human society. Some students needed additional individual tutoring, like Jackson, but other than that, my class schedule was the same as any werewolf or shapeshifter. After a few Literature classes, however, it became clear that certain topics that had been explained to these students since birth flew right over my head. It was less to do with the educational aspects of the class, and more so the everyday mythology that I hadn't been born into.

Theo spent the last week assuring everyone who would listen that, since he'd been invited to our meeting, he was practically best friends with the gloriously renowned Lucas Archer. I didn't bother disbarring the idea, so I figured that he owed me one, and I planned to collect through knowledge. The rumour made him even more popular - if that was possible - so he was certainly an expert on the hierarchy between different species at Faith Heights. It was purely a social hierarchy, dictated by attractiveness and confidence, and there was no bullying, as far as I could tell. But, underneath that, on a primal level, the different species stuck to their own cliques, as distinct as day and night. Theo was more than happy to help me learn, although Jackson tried to reassure me that Leclair was very strict on expelling any stigmas and prejudices between species.

Theo clapped his hands as we headed toward a cafeteria table at lunch break. The sound echoed around the bustling room, and caused a few nearby heads to pop up. Rhea's was one of them, but I kept my eyes guiltily glued on my lunch tray's contents.

He cleared his throat emphatically. "Alright, I'll give you a quick rundown, but you'd be much better going to someone like Lydia Clarke if you want an in-depth thesis on each species' history and hierarchy." He said it like a joke.

"Why? Did Lydia study that kind of thing at school?"

He looked surprised. "She didn't tell you what she is? I thought you two were thick as thieves."

"Why would you think that?" I asked, placing down my tray. We sat at a quiet section of the school's lengthy benches, far away from the other scholarship students. I'd picked up that, until the others like Rhea were either confirmed or rejected, it was frowned upon to discuss anything supernatural outside of classes or dorms in case they overheard.

Theo sat at my right. "You invited her with us to the airport. I assumed she was your councillor or sorority sister or something."

Dylan chimed in, through remnants of some type of marinated chicken. "But it would make sense if she'd been drawn there to watch. She probably spelled Lila into inviting her."

She spelled me? "Lydia doesn't really seem the witchy type. What is she?" 

She told our homeroom that she had once been a scholarship student. Human. But that didn't hint at what she had now become.

Theo took a bite of his food before answering. "She's a witness. Witnesses are a kind of old soul that are aware of their reincarnation. They can remember their past lives without any assistance, and they usually have eidetic memories. They're put on earth to document history."

"Are there many witnesses?" I asked.

"Not that I know of. Some come out of the shadows and record what they know. Most prefer to stay hidden, which is understandable. I don't think people would take too kindly to hearing that their version of history is a total lie."

I took a moment to digest the new information. "So, other than having great memories, they're just like any other regular human?"

He laughed. "Not exactly. Witnesses are aware of their purpose, but I doubt they could fight it if they wanted to. Something instinctive draws them to important historical events as bystanders, like bulls drawn to the colour red. And when they die, they're souls are instantly reborn. There's no eon-long waiting period, like there was with your soul." 

I wondered if that was why Lydia was here, to document the school's history. Had she been drawn here from birth? Or had she simply followed her feet down the coast one day?

I voiced my thoughts, to which Theo shook his head. "This is Lydia's first year teaching at Faith Heights. She mostly just acts as a home-room supervisor and councillor. Leclair offered to let her teach your old Literature class, but I think she refused." He paused. "We're getting off topic. I don't think there's been a witness to come through the school since I started attending, but that's not unusual. They're one of the rarest species on earth, let alone in our vicinity. Right now, I think there's about thirty different species and subspecies at Faith Heights."

Thirty? I'd assumed there were maybe ten different supernatural species, but it was quickly becoming apparent just how little I truly knew.

"There are the werewolves, like us, that pretty much stick together. Unless we take pity on the odd bitter loner like Gabe." 

Gabe scowled, and Theo ruffled his dark head before continuing. "Vampires always stick together. They're pretty easy to peg in a crowd. Pale, chalky skin, dark eyes, and a weird affinity for black clothing, although that's probably based more on a cultural conformity than their own preferences. Shapeshifters are like the minglers of the school, always flitting between different social groups and acting like they're everyone's best friend."

"He's stereotyping." Jackson intervened.

Theo shrugged. "Just calling it like I see it. Shapeshifters can usually be discerned through their shadows; even in human form, their shadows often mirror their animal form. Then there's the witches, fae descendants and elf-bloods. They usually stick together. Elementals and psychics are rarities, because they're still technically human, but those with the power to level a town are all here. Nymphs come and go, but they usually have more relaxed, part-time class schedules than the rest of us. The ghosts are usually the quiet, nerdy types that always seem to think-"

"Ghosts?" My eyes widened. 

"Yeah, only the ones strong enough to hold a corporeal form throughout the school day - or at least look it - are allowed here. It might freak scholarship students out if a kid suddenly vanished in the hallway. Anyway, sirens are almost always girls, and the ones here have very... outgoing personalities."

I nodded. I'd seen those girls flit around school, always planning an escapade around town, with a new guy on their arm. They seemed harmless enough, though, always offering kind smiles and small talk in passing. Harmless, aside from their habit of luring people to their watery deaths.

Theo continued, "We don't have any Nephilim here at the moment, but they come through occasionally. They have pretty remarkable powers, so they're generally trained separately. The same goes for some kinds of changelings and kitsune. They're-"

"Wait, hold on. What are kitsune?"

Theo didn't waste a breath. "Japanese fox spirits. Leclair doesn't accept full-blooded kitsune or other spirit-based species, but their children are here about as often as any other creature. They're not like typical shapeshifters, but the more powerful offspring can form these cool tails around them." He waved his hands around himself and bobbed his head. "But we're getting off-track. Essentially, there's an almost unlimited number of supernatural races that come and go through here, but I've named the most common ones. And then there's the scholarship students, like you. Once they've been confirmed and are aware of their identities, they're kind of the top of the food chain." 

Theo poked me in the ribs. "So don't go getting a big head. Your glasses won't fit."