Chapter Four: Protect

Beginne am Anfang

"I hope so."

"Let me know if anything changes." I nodded. "Can I keep this?"

"Yeah, definetly." He reached into his pocket, pulling out a business card. 

"My cell number is on the back. Please call me if there's anything else I should be concerned about or...just in general." I couldn't help but smile at this.

"Jack is a good kid. I think it's sweet that he chooses to fight negativity with kidness." He smiled too.

"How have you been?"  he asked.

"I've been good. how about you?" He nodded.

"Good. Very good."

"Well...I would love to talk more, but if I don't leave soon, Sadie might die of bordem she has informed me." He chuckled.

"It's not problem. It was good seeing you." 

"Yeah, you too." I stood up and we shoot hands, which felt a bit formal to me before both leaving the room. I turned the lights off, locking the door and grabbing the girls. "Maybe we can have you and Jack over for dinner sometime."

"That'd be nice." 

~~~

I dropped the girls off at my parents' place and already had my things packed, ready to go to the airport for my six hour plane ride.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" Mom asked, putting a hand on my arm.

"Yeah, Mom. I can handle it. It's been a long time."

"No matter how long it's been Lizzie, things like that stay with you forever. You know that." I nodded.

"Yeah, I do. Thank you for taking the girls. I'll be back on Wednesday." I kissed her on the cheek before making my way into the living room. Dad was sitting in his chair, laying out seed packets on a TV tray. 

"I'm leaving now, Dad." He looked up at me.

"I don't like that you're going to this thing. It could be dangerous."

"It won't be dangerous, Dad."

"You don't know that. Events like this almost always draw out the copycats and the psychopaths-"

"And if it does I'll leave immediately. I promise." He sighed, pushing his glasses up on his nose.

"You know I'm just looking out for you, right? It was a terrible thing Lizzie. I don't want anything like that to happen to you ever again."

"I know, Dad. And I know you want to protect me, because I'm your daughter, and as a parent myself you know I can relate, but...you can't protect me from everything. You couldn't then and you can't know. " He nodded.

"I know. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop worrying about you." I smiled, leaning down and kissing his cheek.

"I love you, Dad."

"Love you too. Have a safe trip, and please call me if anything happens." I nodded.

"I will. Bye." Sadie and Charlotte ran into the room, wrapping their arms around me. "Bye girls. I love you and I'll see you on Wednesday." 

"Do you want to take Colin with you?" Sadie held up her bunny.

"Sweetie, I think Colin is better off with you." I said. Since when is the bunny's name Colin?

"He wants to go with you. So you won't be lonely on the plane." She pushed the stuffed rabbit into my hand and I wanted to cry.

"Thank you, Colin. Thank you Sadie." She looked like she was going to cry to. "It's only four days, baby. Then I'll be back and everything will be back to normal." She nodded, going over and sitting on my Dad's lap. Charlotte looked up at me. I crouched down, hugging her.

"Look after your sister. Be good for Grandma and Grandpa."

"I will. I'll look after Jack too." I smiled.

"Good girl." I pulled away from her, standing up. "Bye everybody!'

~~~

I got through security without a hitch and got on the plane, sitting by the window. i reached into my carry-on, pulling out the light blue stuffed rabbit.

"Colin, huh? suits you, I think." I combed the rabbit's ears back. "And I'm talking to a stuffed rabbit."

And I knew why. I was looking for comfort. What Dad said had crossed my mind, and while I put on a brave face...

I was terrified.