24. Forget Me Not

Chapter 24

Forget Me Not

Ed’s unseeing eyes were still wide open, a smile still curve on his lips.  But no matter what, it couldn’t take away from the blood dripping from the bullet hole going right through his forehead or the splatter of red on the wall behind him.  Both John and Ryan were yelling and cursing, but I couldn’t.  I couldn’t yell, couldn’t scream, couldn’t even move. 

Connor and Braewyn had been trying to break me for days.

And they’d finally succeeded.

“I was tired of his speech, especially hearing about you,” Braewyn snarled, turning away from Ed’s body with her gun still in hand.  “I’ve already enough about you, little girl, and I’m tempted to do the same thing to you.  In fact…”

She turned, and I found the gun just a few inches from my face, aimed right between my eyes. 

I didn’t flinch.

“I should just pull the trigger now.  That way, I’ll get rid of a least a few of my problems.”

“Don’t you dare, you fucking bitch,” John growled.  “If you touch her one more time…”

“You’ll what, Johnny?” she spat, her eyes cutting to him.  “I know you can get yourself out of tight situations, but this one will take you much longer.  You can’t even move from where you’re sitting.  Who’s to say I can’t do this…?”

The gun was gone, but the sting of her backhanded slap across my cut and burned cheek made my head snap to the side.  When my eyes squeezed shut, tears were streaming down my face.  I didn’t know if it was because of seeing what had just happened with Ed, withdrawal from the heroin they’d shot in my body just a few hours before, or just everything that had happened in the past few torturous hour or days or however long I’d been there…wherever we were.

All I knew was that I was broken…with barely any hope of being whole again. 

“Don’t do anything rash, babe…well, anything more, at least.  I see you got rid of the old man,” Connor’s voice said with a chuckle as he came back in the room. 

“He was becoming an annoyance.”

I felt when Connor walked up beside me, dragging the chair over so he could take his place in front of me again.  I swallowed hard, realizing what was to come.  “We still need a few things out of this beauty.”

“No…what the hell are you doing?” Ryan screamed, and I could hear as both he and John fought against the cuffs. 

“Oh, calm down, brother,” Braewyn giggled.  Her eyes brightened when she saw the little plastic bag with white powder Connor had placed in her hand.  “Emmy likes it…you should have seen how happy it made her the first time we shot her up.  Don’t you like it, Emmy?”

I shook my head, my stomach rolling as I squeezed my eyes shut tighter. 

“Emmy,” John breathed, horrified. 

“Oh, I believe she’d like it again, wouldn’t you?” Connor grinned before grabbing my face in his hand, yanking my face up. 

I didn’t look at him at first.  His other hand clasped down on my burned shoulder, my eyes popped open and a scream left my lips.  That hand then covered my mouth, muffling my scream as he shushed me. 

“Emmy, don’t scream.  You know how I don’t like it when you do that.”

I whimpered into his hand, trying to shake my head back and forth as I saw Braewyn out of the corner of my eye, preparing an even bigger dose they would soon be pumping into my veins.  My heart rate doubled, knowing it would come soon, and even John’s gaze couldn’t calm me.  He looked helplessly on, both he and Ryan trying any way in their power to get out of their restraints.