18. Fighting And Finishing Sentences...I Sense A Bromance In The Making

Chapter 18

Fighting And Finishing Sentences…I Sense A Bromance In The Making

The heart monitor beside the bed started beeping quicker as John tensed beside me.  This time, though, it wasn’t in fear or pain…it was pure anger.  I sat up, seeing it in his eyes as he looked at Ryan, and turned his face toward me.

“Hey, calm down, okay?  We don’t want anything happening to you when you’re still recovering,” I soothed as his fiery green eyes meet mine. 

Ryan laughed as he set the paper back down on the table beside the chair I’d been in.  “You two have been in this room by yourselves for the past hour, Em.  I’m sure you did a few things to get his heart rate up…”

“Ryan, shut up or I’m going to kick you out of here,” I growled, glaring at him then.

“And I proud to admit the fact that I know you most certainly can.”

I rolled my eyes as I stood up, walking around John’s bed until I was between him and Ryan.  Though Ryan was all smiles and jokes, John continued to glare, but I knew that relationship wasn’t going anywhere fast…if anywhere at all.  I wasn’t going to put up with their testosterone- and ego-fueled behavior, though, no matter how much I loved the both of them. 

Ryan cooled the teasing down, thankfully, as he handed me the plate with my name written across the plastic covering.  “Sorry, but I ate with everyone at the house.  This one’s for you, though.  Your favorite, of course.  Juliet thought you could use a good meal other than gross hospital food.”

“Mm, yum,” I nodded as he handed me a fork.  “I’m starved.  Tell her thanks for me later.”

“Sure,” he laughed, watching me immediately stab a piece of chicken before putting it in my mouth.  “Hey, slow down before you choke, woman!”

With my mouth full of food, I couldn’t tell him to shut up, so I smacked him on the back of the head instead. 

Ryan’s eyes went over the top of my head to John.  “Sorry, big boy, but all you get is jello.  No solid foods for you yet.”

John, who had stayed silent through the exchange, was rigged on the bed.  Just by his conflicted expression, he didn’t know what think of my and Ryan’s exchange, but I had to show him that Ryan was okay…in every sense of the word. 

So I sat my plate back down on the table and pushed Ryan into the chair I’d been in.  “You stay there and don’t stay anything stupid,” I said, poking his chest.  “Quit trying to get him all riled up.  You do realize he’s only been conscious for an hour, right?  And yet you’ve pissed him off enough that he wants to kill you already.” 

Ryan couldn’t help but smirk, holding up his hands in surrender, though I could see he understood.  “Okay, okay.  I’ll behave.”

“Good,” I nodded, and then turned to John, who was still silently glaring.  “And you.  You need to calm down and quit killing Ryan with your eyes before you get up and let your fists do the job for you.”

“If I wasn’t hooked up to all this shit, I would have already finished what I started in that alley,” he growled out.

Ryan snorted.  “Yeah, before you went crazy just by the sound of Em’s voice.”

“Says the person who killed her in the first place!”

“Technically, that was Juliet, not me.”