Chapter One

Chapter One: Aang the Airbender

Makki |~|

This morning, Katara and Sokka went out to find some food. They filled up a canoe with a small number of supplies and started down the current. Every time they leave to go fishing together they always either come back arguing (because they're siblings) or sad (because they didn't catch anything good). I'm not usually the one to go on fishing trips, only because Sokka is always trying to be the bossy one, and won't let me handle my own spear. And if I try to get on a canoe with only Katara, Sokka will throw a tantrum about how he's the warrior so he should come with. Only one lesson is to be learned from this: Don't go fishing when Sokka is within a two-mile radius.

Anyway, I started off my morning by helping Gran Gran cook up some breakfast for everyone. We live in a very small tribe in the South Pole, so we all practically share the same home. We share meals, clothes, and sometimes, tents. We're all one big family. And I'm always helping Gran Gran (and Katara) with the chores. After breakfast, I helped with the laundry. Being a water bender is especially helpful when doing the laundry because I can easily wet and dry the clothes. And when I finally finished with the morning chores, I played with the children of the village, all of which are entertained with my water bending, so I can use it for that, too.

When the afternoon came around I became worried. I started to make lunch, but I kept getting distracted.

Katara and Sokka should be back by now. They're never usually this late. I hope nothing happened to them.

After serving lunch, I sat at the top of the village wall, waiting for Katara and Sokka to return. I played with the snow next to me as the time ticked away. I kept trying to avert my weariness to something that could calm me down, but nothing could help. The children of the village wanted to play again, but I had to refuse. All I wanted was for my siblings to come back, safe and sound. And before I knew it, the sun was setting.

"It's getting late," I muttered to myself.

"They'll be back soon," Gran Gran reassured from below.

"I'm sure they will be, but I just need to be here when they do," I told her.

"You need your sleep," Gran Gran stated. "Please, at least eat some supper."

"You go," I said. "You can eat and rest. I'll stay, just in case."

I heard Gran Gran sigh below me as her footsteps began to crunch in the snow.

There was no light left. The sun was down and everyone was asleep in their tents. I felt it hard to keep my eyes open, even though I was worried more than ever. Just when I was about to leave in defeat, I saw a giant shadow slowly grow in front of me. I stood up, questioning the sight.

This better not be dangerous.

"Makki!"

I saw a silhouette of someone waving on top of the shadow and I started to back up. As soon as the shadow came into close enough view for me to see the details, I saw that the person waving on top of the shadow was Katara.

"Katara!" I called.

Her and Sokka both jumped down from the shadow, along with a short boy in yellow and red clothing.

"You guys had me worried sick!" I exclaimed as I pulled Katara into a hug.

"Why?" Sokka asked. "We were fine."

I glared at him.

"But I didn't know that," I told him.

He just shrugged his shoulders and I almost strangled him.