My mouth dropped as I finally understood what they’d done. Marko, wanting to win at whatever cost, must’ve brought his modified gun with him and used it to stake the flag to the most unreachable place he’d found. They’d win no matter what. They must’ve known that even if we found their flag, we’d never be able to reach it, and then they’d be able to use the time they had to find our own location.

                “I can’t believe you two.” Randi hissed. “You can’t be left alone with mere potato guns, but you think Marko can be trusted with something that could actually kill you? Idiots!”

                All at once, everyone burst into tense conversation; momentarily reminding me of a candor debate. Jude and Biff were attempting to justify themselves, while Finn, Randi and Dan were squabbling about what they’d done, and how now it was probably certain that we’d lost.

                I sighed; feeling nostalgic as I remembered my old faction. Sitting down on the edge of one of the benches nearby, I stared at the sky, the moon, the ominous clouds; taking in all of our surroundings. It bothered me to think we’d come so close, only to have to turn tail and run back to defend our flag. How unfair, to have the win so close, yet so far.

                No. I would not accept failure. I’d changed to dauntless for a reason, and I was attempting to embrace their way of thinking above all else. Losing was not an option.

                I had yet to form a plan, but already I was on my feet and heading back to the roller coaster. Quickly, but with utmost stealth, I made my way to a large booth nearby and scoped out the area. I had to think of something, anything.

                “Sage?” a voice whispered behind me.

                I didn’t pause; wheeling on my heel, I leaned forward and nearly tackled the figure before I realized who it was. “Good God Dan, you scared the shit out of me.”

                Dan chuckled quietly, and I saw a hint of his white smile in the darkness. “Saw you leave and I figured you had a plan. Thought you’d need some back up.”

                “Not yet,” I admitted sheepishly. “But I will, I refuse to believe there’s no possible way for us to win.”

                Dan’s grin spread wider, and I saw him rub his hands together in excitement. “I’m in. Even if we lose, at least we’ll know we gave it a go.”

                I nodded and then turned to try and make out the figures. There were five; one I was certain was Banks, and the other Marko, the other three I couldn’t be sure. They were all huddled near an old toy kiosk, and didn’t seem particularly worried. Those cocky imbeciles thought they had us beat.

                Staring at the flag, I trailed my eyes from the slope, down to where the actual cars were stationed beside a large control panel. Suddenly, an idea hit me.

                “Dan,” I whispered urgently, “do you think that by any chance-“

                “The power?” Dan interrupted, his thoughts already catching up to my own. “It could be on, but it’d be a big risk.”

                He was right, the control panel and cars were out in the open, completely exposed. If the power wasn’t on we’d be basically handing ourselves over to the other team. Here we are! Right in a silver platter. Proceed to slaughter us as you deem fit!