Chapter 16-After Effects

Adrian caught Roe as she fell. "What the hell?" He said aloud. He picked her up and carried her over to the bed in his room. He gently placed her on the bed and took her shoes off for her.

"What the hell what?" Shane asked from his room.

"Roe just fainted."

"What? Why?"

"I'm not sure. How long did it take her to cast that spell on you?"

"What spell?"

"Damn it, Shane. You and your wolf need to talk to each other. I need to know what happened when she healed you, and your wolf was in control then. You need to ask him how long it took her."

"What are you talking about?"

"Just ask Shadow. He'll know what I'm talking about."

"How'd you know I call my wolf Shadow?" Shane asked, suspiciously. "What's going on?"

"He told Roe. Now, talk to him. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with her, and I need information from him. And don't tell me that you can't, because I know you can." Adrian snapped, impatiently.

"Fine." Shane replied sullenly.

"Let me know what he says."

"All right." Shane grumped. "Then will you tell me what's going on?"

"I'll tell you as much as I know, which isn't a lot. Roe's the one that's been awake the longest, and knows what's going on. She didn't want to tell me what had been happening until after you were back to yourself, so she could tell us both at the same time."

"So you really don't know what's been happening?"

"Only the last couple of hours, and we've been here for a while. And, no, I don't know where we are."

"Okay. Give me a minute, and I'll tell you what he says."

"Sure, but try to hurry."

Adrian sat on the edge of the bed and watched Roe sleep while Shane communicated with his wolf. He was worried about what had caused Roe to collapse, but he thought he had a pretty good idea of what it was.

"Adrian." Shane called out.

"Yes?"

"Shadow said it took her a while to finish the spell. He said that before she began, she was talking like it was only going to take a few seconds, but it was a lot longer than that. She took twice as long around our head area than she did on the rest of us. He also said that she looked drained when she finally finished, but he was having a hard time talking with my body so he didn't ask her about it."

"That's what I thought. I think she exhausted herself doing that spell, and running around trying to take care of us."

"Take care of us?"

"Yes, she dug a bullet out of each of us, then fed us both. She's also been running interference between us and the guards and trying to keep them from drugging us. She talked to your wolf and healed you, even after he tried to bite her."

"Yeah, he told me about that." Shane said regretfully.

"She's not mad about it, not since she found out it was him and that you two don't communicate well with each other."

"We never have."

"If we're going to get out of here, you need to start talking to him. He's part of you and may be able to think of things that we can't."

"I know, but it's not that easy."

"I realize that." Adrian said. "Vampires have to reconcile the humanlike outside, and the monster inside too."