22. If I Burn, My World Burns With Me

Start from the beginning

Both Connor’s and Braewyn’s silhouette appeared in the doorway.  Connor made the move forward first, flipping on a single light bulb that hung directly over me.  His grinning face appeared, hair mussed from Braewyn’s fingers more than likely being tangled into it. 

I sneered, narrowing my eyes dangerously.

“Ooh, I love the face, Emmy Alexander.  Are you trying to look intimidating?” he laughed.  He pulled up another chair that was pushed into one corner of the room, placing it in front of me so he could straddle the back.  “Please tell me you can do better than that.”

A low growl sounded in the back of my throat. 

Apparently, John’s behavior toward people he hated had rubbed off on me.

“That’s it.  Gotta love a girl who growls.  Means she’s feisty in bed, too.”

“Oh, Connor, hush,” Braewyn said, playfully swatting the back of his head.  Her halo of blond hair was pulled up into a ponytail at the back of her head, flowing over one shoulder.  Wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a black blazer – the same clothing she’d been in when I’d saw her last – she looked like she’d just stepped out of a workplace casual clothing catalogue.  She looked at me, grinning.  “But he’s right.”

“What the hell do you want?” I growled out. 

“And John’s rubbed off on her, too,” she laughed, nodding.  “Very good…this could actually work out quite well.”

“I told you,” Connor nodded at her. 

The two of them studied me, like I was some sort of specimen under observation.  And in a way, I guess I was, complete with the spotlight for maximum visualization. 

“I said,” I sneered, “what the hell do you two want?”

Connor shrugged, that creepy smile still plastered on his face.  “Oh, nothing for right now…until John and Ryan wake up, that is.  Then we’ll get this started.”

“And this would be…?”

“You’ve never watched a kidnapping movie, Emmy?  We wait for them to wake up, and then it’ll be your time to shine.  We’ll see just how much you take before you spill every little secret that you know about the Brotherhood and the Knights.”

“If I told you I didn’t know anything?”

“Then I’d call you a damn liar.”

“And I’ve been called worse.”

Connor laughed and Braewyn giggled. 

Another groan sounded from behind the wall to my right.  The two of them must have heard it, too, because their heads turned at the sound. 

“Well, looks like we get to get started a little earlier than we expected,” Connor grinned, spinning out of the chair he’d been sitting in.  He grabbed it then, flinging it up into the air and sending it crashing into the wall the noise had come from, accompanied by another loud crack of thunder. 

And I didn’t even flinch like I was sure they were expecting me to.

“What the hell,” a voice groaned…and then there was a shout.  “Emmy!”

“I’ll say hello for you, Emmy,” Braewyn smiled brightly.  “I’ll have to go officially say hello to my brother and ex…that should be interesting, huh?”

“Em!”

“Shut up, John!” I screamed back.  “Don’t say anything.”

This time, it was Ryan.  “Emmy, no!”