Chapter 13: Lives

"What do you mean lives?"

It slips past my lips, my mind blanking as it falls through the cracks, my confusion stacking all the odds against me.

He sighs in frustration, unsure of how much he should let slip I presume, or if he should tell me anything at all past what he has already said.

"It is the prophecy. You are to be the bearer of the world taker. The stars shall bear it from the seed of darkness. Many cycles have passed and it is now time for it to renew."

Reincarnation has been taught since I was of a young age, but I had never thought of myself as having a significance in my past lives. I always thought of myself as normal beyond my physical appearance.

I clutch my stomach afraid for this future life. My thoughts veering to an obscene direction that I'm not sure I could ever follow through with. Even if this child never came to be, another would just take its place. I am in no position to leave now more than ever, it is not just my own, or even my families lives at stake, but many people would be cast into a world of darkness.

I cannot run away like I have in the past, for the darkness would follow, I would just be slowly hindering what is the inevitable future from this day forward.

Now I can only believe that I must learn to play this game at hyper speed, I must learn to hinder the inevitable from the inside because at least now I can tell that Cyran is troubled by his actions, so there may still be hope for him at the very least and if there is hope for him, there may still be a hope at stopping what I can now conclude is the will of his father.

I am deathly quiet as I pull my hands away, resting them against the chairs arms as he drops forward in anguish, thankfully not noticing my sudden need to cradle myself.

"What am I to do?" I whisper out, trying my best to grasp my role in this.

"We must continue on this path. There is no other way. The prophecy demands it of us. All we can do now is keep my father from rushing this forward. I have tried my best to keep his guards away, but I must still visit you at night. It will not escape him if I am not performing my duty in this and he will not rest until it is done." He replies, a sadness to his voice that feels odd, considering I've only ever felt a madness to him, a man that will follow his father and kings orders to the death.

So his father has been stationing his own guards outside my door of seclusion, the only place I can think to myself in hopes of his son planting the seed of death into me?

I do not think now is the time to tell him that his seed has already been growing Day by Day, but I also do not know when I will be in this room of silence again... I open my mouth, breathing out softly, trying to calm myself as all this new information invades my skull, digging deep into my brain.

But before I can utter a word I hear a knock at the door, Ayrie most likely.

"We must go now." Thalon says, Cyran standing of his own accord, his eyes frosting over, his face transforming into the cold and calculating Prince I have always known him to be as Thalon lifts me by my hand.

"Wait for my signal." He says, leaving the room, me lingering behind him until the door is shut tight.

A twinging fear rakes up my body as time moves forward, Thalon eerily silent by my side, not a peep uttered from his tight thin line of a mouth.

After what seems like an endless amount of time, I can feel the clouding darkness of Cyran invading my head, pushing thoughts of safety into my brain until I am moving towards the door, Thalon grasping my arm and pulling back until I  relay the message of safety.

We leave through the harem, Thalon taking me to my bedroom, Catya arriving not long after with an armful of dresses to ready me for dinner.

I let my mind drift away, trying to loosen the stress from my shoulders, surprised when I am suddenly standing in front of Norrine's room, Thalon looking worried, a letter in his grasp.

I flick my fingers in the air, letting my magyk inconspicuously run over it's contents before my body runs cold.

I am to have a physical exam, a test to determine my state of body.

A test to determine if I do, indeed, carry the seed of death I do so wish was life.