Partners

"Now, I would like you all to partner up please." Professor Wallace sang out, clapping her hands together. Immediately, Hermione's eyes went to Draco. Not because that was her first instinct but because she knew that nobody in this room would dare partner with a Malfoy. If Pansy or Zabini had been in the class, Hermione wouldn't have worried but they were currently surrounded by younger students. The only people Draco actually knew was herself, Neville and Luna. Hermione straightened her back, stood up and decided to ask him to be her partner. Before she could do that though, someone else approached her.

"Would you like to be my partner?" A soft voice asked at Hermione's elbow. Hermione looked over to find Luna. Her blonde hair framed her face delicately and she had a colorful clip in her hair that Hermione hadn't seen on her before.

"I Uhh.." Hermione stole a glance at Draco who still hadn't moved from his seat. Nobody had approached him yet and as if he sensed her gaze, his eyes flickered up and Hermione blushed. She hadn't meant to stare at him but now that she had been caught, she didn't want to look away. He had the most fascinating eyes.

"I think I'll go partner with Draco if you don't mind

"I think I'll go partner with Draco if you don't mind." Hermione said lightly. Luna smiled a little.

"That's smart, you're dreadful at potions and he is one of the best." Luna said in the nicest voice. "I'm going to go partner with Neville." She immediately walked towards him and the boy smiled as she did. Taking a deep breath, Hermione walked towards Draco.

"Hey." He looked towards her confused. "Will you be my partner?" Draco glanced around the room. Everyone appeared to be partnered up already. The only people left without one, were the two of them.

"Didn't Lovegood ask you?" Draco said. Hermione tried not to blush again. Had he heard their conversation? Hermione hadn't exactly wanted to be his partner because he was good at potions, he was exceptional at it sure but she mainly wanted to be his partner because... Because she wanted to be his partner.

"She did. I told her I would rather be with you." Now that sounded way too forward. Before Draco could protest or argue, Hermione sat in the empty seat next to him. "And I won't take no for an answer." Draco smiled a little.

"I can't say no anyways, there's no one else to partner with."

"And who would you partner with if not me? Professor Wallace?" Hermione asked. Draco chuckled.

"Maybe, at least she won't burn our potion and char my cauldron." Hermione crossed her arms and huffed.

"We'll use mine if you're so worried." She grumbled. Draco grinned.

"It's okay Granger. A little char never hurt a cauldron."  Hermione pursed her lips.

"I was thinking." She found herself saying as she stared at the ingredients in front of them. "That maybe you could stop calling me Granger and just call me Hermione. You switch back and forth between them and I really would prefer if you used just Hermione." Draco smiled a little.