My aunt just stood there and looked sort of amused hearing my proposal.

"You remind me so much of your mother, Nina," she said at last. "She always tried to make people's lives easier."

I felt a blush on my cheeks along with the tears. Aunt Vikki came forward to hug me. I held her back in my arms.

"When your mother called to tell me she was pregnant with you," my aunt said, "she sounded happier than she'd ever sounded in her whole life."

~*~

The next day, I gave a presentation on my Bio II report. Everyone looked at me with hopeful eyes. I swallowed and began to speak. It was harder than when I did it in my own language, but I had no choice.

"My report is about the Flaws of Evolution," I started in a shortened breath and paused for a moment. "We all know that through evolution, humans can adapt to their environment and reproduce."

All eyes were on me, blinking and listening. Jordan gave me an encouraging nod.

"But my report is about the hidden imperfection of human race, mainly, of women," I said with a little more force of confidence after I had started.

A few girls sitting at the front exchanged a curious look, but I carried on.

"Now, we know why women would not survive ten months of pregnancy for they could die giving birth. The first stage of human development starts with the head, which has to grow big for intellectual and survival purposes. But the woman's pelvic bones are not well-developed enough to push anything with that size. That's why it's extremely painful during labor." I clicked on the slide show that had a picture of a baby inside the womb. I glanced briefly at Ms. Peterson, who wore a smile on her lips.

"So babies have to be born even they actually need longer time to develop, it's why they're such a mess. Human mothers have not evolved enough to have an easy labor like most mammals. It's kind of a huge and secret flaw in our evolution that we don't really notice. So if a woman's body can't cope with this insane pain during childbirth, she can die. And if you think it's normal to give birth, it's actually not. It's natural, but it's not normal."

I finished my report. No one asked questions, or that they didn't know what to ask.

"Well done, Nina," Ms. Peterson said after a while later.

I strode back to my desk and plopped down in my chair as if my energy was all drained.

"You did great," Jordan said, smiling sweetly.

"Thank you," I said.

"You sounded passionate about this," she added. "It's a very interesting topic."

"My mom died giving birth to me," I told her. Jordan's mouth fell open. She looked at me as if she didn't know what to say. I shouldn't have said that, but it just came out. I gave her a weak smile and waved her look away. The last thing I wanted was sympathy.

In Language Arts, I didn't feel quite as snarky as I wanted to with Allecra Knight. I got to where she was sitting by the window and sat down. Allecra had always been like a stone, but now she seemed even more unresponsive. I still thought of the neck-kissing incident. I couldn't tell if she had minded and decided to ignore me for that.

Mrs. Smith started the class as soon as the bell rang.

"Listen, class!" she said. "You're supposed to give your editing partner your stuff to read and comment on with constructive criticism, alright? You are to write a personal creative essay. It's whatever you want to write about. Now, let's get to work."