5

It was early March when Thomas had the oppertunity to approach James again. He'd lately been in depression without someone there to keep him sane. Alex shunned Thomas completely now and was hardly ever seen without his group who seemed to bond over their mutual hatred of Thomas. James had taken to caring for Alex instead of Thomas and they seemed to have a similar bond as Alex's friend group did.

It was nearly noon and Thomas was sitting at his favorite bench in the garden reading a book. The sky above was cloudy and promised rain or snow for the coming evening, but Thomas didn't dwell on the whether.

He had just finished the last page of the seventh chapter of his book when he heard footsteps and looked up to see James approaching.

To say he was surpised would be the understatement of the year. He instantly sat straight and closed his book to give the other his ubdivided attention.

"James!" He greeted enthusiastically, all bitterness towards the other gone.

"Thomas." He nodded in acknowledgment. "Alexander has requested your presence with his father."

And all happiness was gone. James wasn't there to see him and not only that but he had to see his husband and father in law.

"Oh"

Thomas stood up and looked away from James.

"Could you maybe return my book to my room?" Thomas asked saddly.

"Of course your majesty." James said as he took the book and was about to make his way towards Thomas' room.

"Wait!" Thomas said before James could leave.

"Yes your highness?" The mocking bitterness in his vouce was hardly concieled.

"I-I miss you." Thomas said softly, hopefully too soft for James to hear.

"I know" James said softly before turning away again.

"Please James, I want us to get along again, please. I miss you so much and life just feels so meaningless." Thomas pleas fell on deaf ears and James continued walking away.

It only took a moment for Thomas to gain enough composure to attend the meeting he'd been summoned to.

"Ah, Thomas. Glad to see you could join us." Alex's father called from his seat at the dining table.

"Yes, sir. I wouldn't think of missing." He responded respectfully despite the fear he felt bubling up in his chest from the other man.

"Now, why don't you take a seat beside your husband?"

Thomas did just that and tried to ignore the fact that this was the first time he'd been near Alex since early December.

They dined for a bit, eating the offered foods that the servants brought in and it wasn't till their plates were clear that Alex's father decided to speak up.

"Now Thomas, you know your marriage to Alexander was to promote peace correct?"

Thomas nodded.
"Yessir"

"And you know the peace was failed to obtain, but it did keep us from fighting?"

"Yessir"

"You also know that the rumors of your broken marriage with Alexander have spread like wild fire?"

Thomas hesitated before nodding.
"Yessir..."

"Your family is displeased and wishes to rage war, they believe Alexander had been abusive-"

"I have not!" Alex cut in angrily.

"Do keep your mouth shut Alex." He paused before continuing on, "I want you to travel back home to your family, convince them that the marriage is fine and well and that the rumors are false. If you succeed, you and Alex will try harder to keep up your reputation as a happy couple. If you fail, you will stay until the war is over and will only return once the fighting stops. You will do the same as the other option and convince them that you love eachother."

Thomas nodded.
"When shall I take my leave?"

"At sunfall. You will go with only one servant of your choice." Thomas looked up at that.

"James, I wish to go with James."

Alexander laughed at Thomas.
"James? He hates you, why would you choose him? Besides, he's my servant."

"I know him best. And I believe he was a gift to me, that makes him mine." Thomas snapped back grumpily.

Alexander's father rolled his eyes at the two.
"Go ahead and prepare for your journey then. You are dismissed."

With that, Thomas stood and took his leave. He wandered slowly to his room and paused in the doorway when he saw James sitting in a chair beside the window and gazing out onto the garden below.

"James?" He asked quuetly, but somehow loud enough for the other to hear him.

"Thomas."

"What are you doing here?" He asked as he stepped into the room and hesitaintly approached the other man.

"I wished to speak with you."

Whatever James was gokng to say never got heard since Alexander walked into the room just them.

"James. Good, I don't have to hunt you down." He said as he walked into the room and tugged his coat off.

"Your majesty?"

"Thomas is gonna take a trip back to his home to settle a few affairs for us, please gather some servants to help pack him, also, go pack yourself with whatever you need. He has requested you be the one to acompany him on his journey."

James stood there for a second before he quickly bowed to Alexander, muttered a quick "yessir" and went to fullfill Alexanders orders.

Thomas approached the window and looked out.

"I recon you won't miss me so theres no need fo goodbyes." He said as he stared out at the garden.

"Affirmative." Alex huffed as he sat at his desk and began writing.

Thomas frowned.
Before deciding to play the card of teasing.
"What a shame, here I thought I was a loveable and wanted person."

"Hmm, whatever made you think that?" Alex said, taking the bait at a little teasing

"Oh I don't know, maybe just how amazing I am" Thomas said as he approached Alex.

"Love, go to a doctor. You gotta get yourself cheacked and see what plague has infected you to make you think so." Thomas would've chuckled at that if he hadn't been caught up on the fact that Alex had called him 'love' like he had used to.

"Hmm, sure thing" He said as he placed his hands on Alex's shoulders. He couldn't say his thoughts at the moment were exactly innocent, neither were the words he would've said if the maids hadn't walked into the room just then, but that was beside the fact.