(26) The Plan She Devised

Start from the beginning

"Well it's probably better you don't know considering you're a cop." His lips tugged at the sides slightly at my admittance but he waved for me to continue. "If you must know..." I looked around again feeling incredibly paranoid. "I may have snuck one of my very strong sleeping pills into his scotch." I shrugged, "Hypothetically of course." I didn't want him to have any reason to get into trouble so I made sure not to actually admit to any crimes. His eyes bulged from their sockets, "I also may have called you because I want you to help me get him into that house behind us so I can maybe look through his father's office and maybe find lots of confidential evidence in regards to a murder." He looked like he was going to kill me but also had a radiance of pride in his brown eyes.

"Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if he woke up? Or his potentially murdering father came home?" I shrugged smiling smugly, "That's the part of my plan that was still quite a bit fuzzy when I called you." He shook his head incredulously. "We should probably get to it if we want any chance at finding something..." I trailed off, "Hypothetically..." I added quickly waiting for him to decide if he'd help or not. He sighed and quickly ran around the other side of the car opening the door slowly catching Riley as he spilled out of the car.

I grabbed his legs while Rayner grabbed him under his arms and we carried him up the long driveway. "I'm slipping!" I whisper yelled his knee falling from my hands. Rayner stopped immediately trying to hold up more of the weight despite the awkward angle while also trying to refrain from laughing. Luckily I was able to not drop him and we set him down on the front porch. Rayner kept watch while I unlocked the door and then he dragged him inside quickly.

"Is anyone here?" He whispered. I shrugged turning on a light, "Hello?!" I shouted into the seemingly empty house. Rayner immediately clamped his hand over my mouth pressing into my back waiting to see if someone responded. We waited an entire minute before my mouth was released. I felt cold once he pulled away and I tried to forget his touch. "What the hell Tori? What would you have done if someone had been here?" I shrugged again giggling stepping over the passed out frat boy on the checkered tile. "Let's just hurry up and get out of here." He grumbled following close behind me.

I checked a few rooms downstairs not seeing anything that looked like an office so we headed up the stairs. "The fact that you devised and executed this plan on your own seriously does not ease my mind about you. In fact it makes me worry about you ten times harder." Rayner disciplined me all the way up the stairs, "Give me the lecture later, I think I found the office." I wiggled my eyebrows entering the room I'd just opened.

"Do you even know what you're looking for Tori? Honestly he isn't going to just have incriminating evidence sitting out in the open." I sifted through some papers and something immediately caught my eye. It was a large yellow envelope that had my initials across it. Rayner's face looked as horrified as mine once I'd spilled the contents of the envelope onto the desk. My face. About fifty photos of me in various places. Walking my dog outside my apartment, at school, in the club parking lot, at the grocery store, they'd even caught a photo of Jackson and I hugging at the airport a week ago. My heart sank into the pit of my stomach. "Let's get the fuck out of here Tori." Rayner's voice was calm but I could sense the panic rising in it. Someone had been keeping tabs on me without my knowledge. What for? What was their plan?

"Tori, I know you're here for information on your parents but if this man is keeping tabs on you he probably knows you're here right now. We. Have. To. Go." Rayner tugged on my limp arm, "Now." He quickly put the pictures back in the envelope and grabbed me under the arm dragging me down the stairs. We froze seeing Riley was no longer passed out by the front door. Rayner took a protective stance in front of me looking behind us making sure no one was there on the stairs with us.