(9) Self Defense

Live with me.

His words swirled in my brain like a whirlpool. I'd lived with him once before so why was this different? I questioned what his motives were, the reasoning for this sudden outburst. He was working around the clock hours and I would be here alone anyway. Something was fishy.

Think about it. He'd told me before leaving me to shower, claiming he'd had a long day. I slipped back into my underwear and stole a T-shirt from his drawer encasing myself in a new smell. Rayner's familiar earthy scent reminded me of rain and comforted my senses. I crawled under his black comforter sinking into his bed that was somehow more comfortable than mine. I could hear the shower running behind the door and the bathroom light was shining underneath. Kato's claws clacked down the hall into the bedroom. He licked my hand before collapsing on the floor at my side of the bed. My eyes were incredibly heavy and before I knew it I'd fallen asleep.

The next morning the air was chilly but I was curled into Rayner's side. I turned my body to his sleeping figure admiring his relaxed face. His beard was now trimmed to a neat scruff on his face making him look more put together. I traced circles into his bare chest admiring just his breathing. I'd never been more attracted to someone in my life. I enjoyed his warmth for about 15 more minutes before we were startled to attention by my barking dog and a hard knock on the front door.

Rayner sat upright in the bed. "Stay here." He commanded jumping up throwing a t-shirt on quickly, tucking his gun that was resting on the nightstand into the back of his sleep shorts, and exiting to answer the door. I could hear the mumbled voices but couldn't make out any words. He was gone for a few minutes before returning looking pissed off. "I'll be back in an hour." He removed his shorts flinging them across the room laying his gun down on the bed.

"Where are you going?" I sat up watching Rayner disappear into his closet returning wearing a pair of unbuttoned black jeans he was in the process of clasping. He sighed checking himself in the mirror running his fingers through his hair a few times to straighten it out.

"Got some work to do. I will be back in ONE hour." He promised. "I'll bring you food." He added leaning in front of me on the bed placing his hands on either side of my crossed legs. "You can stay in bed, I swear I won't be long. I just have this one thing to do and then I'll be here." Rayner was always busy, it came with the territory. "No one can function the second I take my vacation." He voiced annoyed that he was already being called back to work. "You'd think Eliza was difficult to work with or something. I just have to give the new guy the lay down and I'll be back." He winked giving me a quick kiss and left me alone in his big comfy bed.

I tried falling back to sleep for awhile but I couldn't because I was still haunted by what Rayner had asked. Why was he springing this on me? What was he hiding? I shut my eyes tightly trying to squeeze out the many questions swirling around to no avail. I decided I would just have to shower them away.

My bare feet felt icy on the cool floor and I thought about just staying in bed like Rayner told me to. Was the heater even on? I shivered tip toeing down the hall seeing it was 66 degrees in here. LA never got very cold but it didn't take much for me to get chilly. I cursed Rayner for always being warm bodied and flicked the heat on 71 degrees. I padded down the hall to the back door in the kitchen sliding open the glass door. Kato ran out into the dewy grass. I closed the door locking him outside to play while I showered. I didn't trust him to not eat Rayner's furniture or entire closet for that matter.

I showered quickly, changing into another one of Rayner's T-shirts and a pair of jeans I didn't remember leaving here. I checked my phone and had a single message from Jackson saying he had to work at noon and that he would be home late. I told him to have a nice day thankful I wasn't going in until later.