chapter 10

I stepped into her car and we drove to my mothers house. I rang the bell, and she opened up to us. "Taylor, what a surprise." She said enthusiastically as she hugged me. "If you would've told me you were coming, I would've made some tea and biscuits." And then she looked at Liz. "And who is this lovely lady?" She asked with a wide smile on her face. Liz pulled out her badge again. "I'm Liz Cooper, MI5. We need to talk to you." My mother looked at me with worry on her face, not understanding why someone from the secret service showed up at her door with her daughter. "May we come in?" Liz asked. "Yeah sure, of course." She led us to the living room and towards the dining table. "Take a seat." When we sat down, Liz started talking. "Look miss Griffin, me and my team are investigating the Whitby ripper case and your daughter has helped us by giving us valuable information. But because of that, she has brought herself and her family in danger. That's why we're here. We need to bring you and your son to safety as soon as possible. You'll need to leave this house. We'll relocate you to one of our safe houses with new identities and all. Once the treat is over, you can come back here, of course."

My mother looked at us with concern. "If I may ask, why is the secret service on this case? Why not regular police?" Liz seemed to be contemplating an answer. "I can't tell you that, all I can say is that it is an unusual case." My mother studied our faces for a moment as if she was thinking something. It almost felt as if she was reading us. "It's a vampire, isn't it?" She finally asked. Both Liz and I were shocked at her question. "How do you know?" Liz asked. "The victims were drained of their blood. Only one kind of creature could do that. The media even dubbed him The vampire of Whitby" she said. Then she looked at me. "Do you remember all those dreams you had that somehow came true?" I nodded, wondering where she was going with this. "Well, your father used to have them too sometimes. you are descended from a long line of clairvoyants. His ancestors were druids and witches." My mouth fell open from this information. "So, you're saying I'm a witch?" She nodded slowly. "He left his coven when he was young, because he wanted a normal live and his parents didn't accept me because I was a regular human. He has seen what some of them are capable of and he told me about a lot of mythical creatures, not just vampires, but he didn't want to have anything to do with it." I nodded. "I see, and I always thought that I was just some weirdo." My mum smiled at me. "I'm sorry for keeping this information from you, but we thought it best to let you grow up without all that stuff." I looked at her for a moment. "And how about Aiden, is he gifted as well?" "No" my mum said. "He is more like me." "Thanks for sharing this information with us, your daughter could be really useful to us once she's learned to control her abilities. But we need to leave soon." My mother nodded in understanding. "Is Taylor coming with us?" She asked. "No" Liz answered. "She'll be with me, I'll keep her safe." My mum nodded. "Before we go, I want to give you something." She said to me. She walked over to the closet and pulled out a wooden box. And when she opened it, she pulled out an old book with a pentagram on the cover. "This is the octavo." She said. "It's your fathers spell book. I want you to have it. You can cast it aside or you can use it, the choice is yours." I took it and I let my hands travel the leather cover. "Thanks mum." I said.

A few moments later, the door opened and Aiden walked in. He had just finished school. "Hey Tay, where have you been lately?" He asked. "At college and at work, of course. What else, you little git?" Aiden laughed at my remark. "Shut up fairy lover." He laughed. That's basically our relationship in a nutshell. We're insulting each other all the time, but all in good fun, and we know we love each other. "This you lady?" He asked as he looked at Liz. "No, she's not." I said. "She's just a friend." "To bad" Aiden responded. "She looks cool." Liz was definitely flattered by this remark and ruffled trough his hair. "Thanks kid, your awesome to." She said. "But we have to go now." Then she looked at my mum. "I'll have a team pick you up and arrange everything." She said. my mum nodded. "Thank you" she said. "And keep my daughter safe." Liz smiled. "I will, don't worry." I hugged my mum and my little brother, and then we were of."