chapter 5

The next morning, when I arrived at college, I walked over to Roan. He looked devastated. There were groups of people who all were spread all around the area. This wasn't really unusual, but that day, there was a dark atmosphere. Normally, people were laughing and talking and having fun, but not that day. When I asked Roan what happened, he told me that they had found a new victim earlier that morning. It was Sophie. Her body was drained of her blood, ripped open, and her heart was missing. I didn't knew what I heard that moment, I just broke down and cried. I told Roan she was with me last night, I told him that I offered her to stay over and that she refused. I told him that I felt responsible for what happened for her. He put his arms around me and tried to comfort me, but to no avail. He told me is wasn't my fault, that I couldn't possibly have known about what would happen to her. It didn't matter though, I cried 'till I had no more tears left. All our classes for that day were canceled and there was a wake in memory of Sophie. A lot of her friends and classmates spoke about her and what she had meant to them. It was a beautiful ceremony, and a lot of tears were shed.

When It was over, I went home. I called my boss, told him about what happened and said that I couldn't come to work today. Fortunately, he understood my situation and he gave me some days of. When I was in my room, I pulled out my phone and texted Liz. I asked if she wanted to come over and said that I wanted to see her, that I didn't want to be alone. When she asked me why, I told her the whole story. She responded that she had work to do, but that she would be at my place the moment she had some spare time.

I also got a phone call from my mother, who obviously heard about what happened and wanted to make sure I was alright. me and my mum weren't always on the best of terms. When my dad had died in that terrible accident, there was a lot of grief, and my mother took a lot of that out on me. And did the same to her. We were constantly fighting over the stupidest things. And when I came out to her, she had a really hard time accepting it. Roan supported me trough all of this, and if it wasn't for him, I probably would've gone insane. My mother tried to convince me to try and date with him, but I refused and that made her sad. But eventually she came around and she would occasionally even ask when I would be bringing a girl home. Eventually, our relationship got a lot better when I moved out. We weren't fighting all the time anymore, and we could actually enjoy our time together. So when she called, it was really comforting to hear her voice. While on the phone, I talked to Aiden as well. Unlike my mother, he had accepted my sexuality pretty fast. He actually thought it was pretty cool to have a lesbian sister. Although we fought a lot in our childhood, like most siblings do, we had grown close as we got older. Especially when our father died. He really is the best brother I could possibly wish for. After some small talk and the promise to meet up soon, we ended the call and I started waiting for Liz.

While I was waiting, I put on some music. 'Teardrops' by The Radios. A Belgian band I had discovered on the internet. It's not what you would expect from me, but I like it a lot. It helped me trough some tough breakups, and now it was helping me processing Sophie's death. Late in the afternoon, my doorbell rang. I went to open the door, Liz was standing there. I let her in and went back to my room. I sat down on the bed and she sat down beside me. I laid my head on her shoulder and she wrapped her arms around me. We sat there for a while, as I talked about the events of the day. She stroked my back and comforted me. I shared some of my most fond memories of Sophie with her. Like when we were done early, and I didn't have to go to work, we went out shopping in the city. Me, Roan, Ben, Teresa, Sophie and a couple of other people. We were laughing the whole afternoon, chasing each other trough the streets of Whitby, making fun of each other. I wished we would have done more things like that. Those memories brought a smile to my face, but they also made me sad.

After a while, the doorbell rang again. I went to open the door, there were two policemen outside. "Good afternoon, miss Griffin. We'd like to ask you some questions regarding miss Brenson. May we come in?" "Yeah, sure." Liz stood behind me. "Good afternoon, I'm Elisabeth Cooper, a friend of Taylor." She introduced herself. Since I was the last person to have seen her alive, they asked me about her whereabouts and where I was and all that stuff. Liz was sitting beside me, holding my hand the whole time. Sometimes she squeezed it when she noticed I had a difficult moment.

When the policemen were gone, we sat at the table for a while. Liz asked me how I was doing. "I don't know" I said. "I just wish I could leave all this mess behind, you know? I just feel so empty right now." Liz hugged me again. When we separated, she noticed the scar on my hand. "Where did you get this?" I looked at her, and then to my hand. "It's nothing, I just cut myself." "On purpose?" "No, it was an accident." She gave me a small nod. "I'd like you to stay for tonight." I said after a moment of silence. "I don't think that's a good idea." "Why not? Can't you please stay?" She looked at me for a moment. "Okay, I just have to make some phone calls." "Thanks." Liz picked up her phone and went to a separate room. When she came back, i noticed she was trembling. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Nothing," she said. "I just need to take my medication. She took her purse and pulled out a bottle. She turned around and took some gulps from it. "All better." She said. I looked at her questioningly, but decided not to make a big deal out of it. The rest of the evening, we watched some tv. Teresa and Ben came home sometime later. Sophie's death had infected them as well. They greeted us and went straight to Teresa's bedroom. After a while, we decided to go to sleep as well. When I came out of the bathroom, Liz had a wide grin on her face. "What?" I asked. "Oh, nothing... It's just, the big bad goth chick is wearing a pink pajama." "I like pink, it's my favorite colour." When I said that, she started laughing even harder. So I smacked her with my pillow. "You are so going to get that back" she said as she smacked a pillow to my face. We were laughing our arses of, until we fell on the bed exhausted. I crawled against her, and she wrapped her arms around me. We fell asleep like this, and for the first time in a long time, I felt truly happy, like nothing in the wold could harm me.