prologue

My father always told me that there was more than meets the eye. He believed in things that weren't explainable with science or technology. He said that we couldn't just assume that we knew everything about life and about our world. He would tell me stories about witches and vampires and werewolves. I always thought of them as fairytales. Stories to scare us.

I never believed them to be real. He said that he had seen them however. He told me about the adventures he had with them. He sure had a very vivid imagination and even wrote them down. He tried to get them published, which wasn't the success he had hoped it would be.

And then he died in a horrible car accident, leaving my mother to take care of two rebellious teenagers, me and my little brother Aiden. It were very hard years for us, and we sure gave my mother a hard time raising us, but somehow she managed it.

I grew up as a very insecure and closed of kid, who often didn't know what to do with herself. I would listen to music all day and draw the most horrifying paintings my mother could imagine. It was my way of dealing with everything that was going on I guess. It sure helped me to clear my mind.

Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Taylor Griffin, I was 20 years old at the time this story took place and I live in Whitby, a small town in Yorkshire, England. The main forms of income are the fishing industry and tourism. It is known for its picturesque streets and alleys and the hills and historical monuments like the ruins of Whitby Abbey. I love living in this place, it is very quiet and you can really find a nice spot to relax in the hills. In the winter, it can get quite chilly, because we are so close to the ocean.

Also something that I really like is Whitby goth weekend, a festival that takes place twice a year. The reason for this is that, according to Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula arrived in Whitby. Speaking of Stoker's iconic vampire, a few years ago I had an encounter with the supernatural myself. I never believed in that stuff, but that one moment made me think differently about it all. What encounter did I have may you ask? Well, that's what i'm about to tell you.